Thread Options
#2240244 - 07/28/20 04:46 PM VISA rules- merchandise not received
Kristi Offline
Kristi
We have a customer who has filled a dispute under the VISA rules for merchandise that was ordered but not received. What I have read says that the 120 day chargeback time frame starts the day that the merchandise was promised to be delivered. A couple of questions...

1. If the customer doesn't provide us with the day the merchandise was promised to be delivered, what is the bank required to do

2. If we give the customer provisional credit, file the chargeback but doesn't get the money back from VISA, can we take the money back from the customer?

I'm less familiar with how the chargeback rules work then anything else.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2240258 - 07/28/20 05:59 PM Re: VISA rules- merchandise not received Kristi
Kristi Offline
Kristi
Here's a little more info on the transaction of that would help anyone give their opinion

"Unfortunately, this is a scam and the card number was given out over the phone.  This was not used on a website.  With no terms and conditions, there's nothing for the bank to research and investigate or hold the other person accountable for producing a product.  The charge was processed thru a personal square device that's listed as a merchant code of "Quick copy, Reproduction, and Blueprinting Services".  Tracking the addresses of the phone numbers it appears both were in a residential area in Texas and the other one New York or New Jersey"

Return to Top
#2240580 - 08/04/20 01:34 PM Re: VISA rules- merchandise not received Kristi
burkemi Offline
Gold Star
2. If we give the customer provisional credit, file the chargeback but doesn't get the money back from VISA, can we take the money back from the customer?

Provisional credit isn't needed for this dispute since it isn't an unauthorized transaction.

If you're going to attempt any chargeback at all, it would be for Merchandise Not Received. Because this isn't covered by Reg E, you won't have to provide provisional credit nor are you bound by Reg E's timeframe. In this case, if the customer isn't providing all the information, you can go back and request it - Visa will almost certainly require it.

Return to Top
#2240596 - 08/04/20 02:34 PM Re: VISA rules- merchandise not received Kristi
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Is anybody else running into the disputes where the member places an order, pays through PayPal and upon ordering the product, getting a USPS tracking number showing delivery to the correct city occurred a day, week or month ago?

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett