Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2241617 - 08/26/20 05:21 PM purchase or refinance or other purpose
laf0915 Offline
100 Club
I have several questions on this application

1. The house in question is owned by 4 parties. One of the parties is going to buy the other ones out and borrow money to do so. There is no debt on the house. Is this a purchase, refinance or other purpose as far as HMDA

2. This was for a secondary market transaction and when the appraisal came in, it showed that there was no septic system on the property. That is a requirement for loans sold on secondary market and a requirement for that particular county

3. Customer stated he would get a septic system installed but loan was already locked and lock was going to expire so he requested to withdraw the application and would reapply when septic was installed.

4. I think this is a denial for both Reg B and Reg C with the reason being value or type of collateral insufficient

Looking for validation to my decision. Thank you.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2241624 - 08/26/20 06:14 PM Re: purchase or refinance or other purpose laf0915
Cielo Offline
Here are my thoughts on it:

- Is the property type a non-owner-occupied rental? If so, this could mean that the loan is business/commercial use. Based on the scenario, you are not purchasing, refinancing, or improving a dwelling - which are the only options for a business/commercial type HMDA loan. If this considered, primary or secondary residence - you have a personal use and could use "other" for equity.

- As far as your denial/withdrawal scenario - you have both denial reasons and the applicant requesting to withdraw the loan. We had a similar situation and asked our compliance consultants - they advised that if there was an AAN in file, they would recommend reporting it as a denial.

Return to Top
#2241625 - 08/26/20 06:21 PM Re: purchase or refinance or other purpose laf0915
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted by laf0915
1. The house in question is owned by 4 parties. One of the parties is going to buy the other ones out and borrow money to do so. There is no debt on the house. Is this a purchase, refinance or other purpose as far as HMDA

I would report this as an other purpose loan, unless this is for business or commercial use, which then it wouldn't be reportable.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2241784 - 08/31/20 01:50 PM Re: purchase or refinance or other purpose Adam Witmer
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
Adam - assuming the property in question is a rental and therefore a commercial purpose property, would this not be considered a purchase as there is one owner buying our the other 3 owners? Or is this not considered a purchase as this personal already has ownership?

Return to Top
#2241811 - 08/31/20 06:30 PM Re: purchase or refinance or other purpose laf0915
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
This is a question that has been debated here quite a bit, and really goes back to the full topic of interest buyouts.

Honestly, the rule isn't crystal clear on this but I have taken a position that interest buyout loans are a refinance - unless the dwelling is owned free and clear, which would default to an "other" purpose for consumer purpose loans and not reportable for business/commercial purpose loans. This is actually a very complicated topic, but I based this stance on two things: 1) the commentary to the definition of a refinance that says "same borrower" includes instances where one person on a prior loan remains on a new loan and 2) I've talked with a few different examiners over the years who apparently escalated the question to higher ups and were told interest buyouts were considered a refinance.

Truth is, there is a valid argument for the other side of things, so this is one of those instance where you really just need to pick a side and be consistent.

So in my reply above, I did start by saying "I would report this..." but should have also ended with "I wouldn't report this" rather than say "it wouldn't be reportable" (which is my stance - and I acknowledge that others may have a different stance).

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top