Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2242081 - 09/04/20 05:58 PM Secondary Market
kathomas Offline
New Poster
For those banks that are correspondent lenders on the secondary market, who is in charge of compliance on these loans? Our name is on the docs as the lender and then after approximately three days they are sold. Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2242083 - 09/04/20 06:12 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You are.
Treat every loan as if it's not going to be bought by the investor. Make sure everything is the way it should be. You don't want to have to buy back the loan because there's an error the investor doesn't want to live with.

Return to Top
#2242091 - 09/04/20 07:37 PM Re: Secondary Market Truffle Royale
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Also, check the contract with your investor. The contract should tell you under what conditions you may have to buy back the loan (compliance errors, etc).

Return to Top
#2242109 - 09/06/20 03:15 AM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
This is an asset quality issue. Look at your promises in the contracts between you and the investors. Your bank represents and warrants each loan you deliver to be free of legal/regulatory defects. Like any other product you sell, there should be sufficient quality controls in place to assure that you deliver no less than the fully compliant paper you offered for sale to the investor.

Return to Top
#2285321 - 06/07/23 05:02 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Has anyone had any luck in negotiating the content of these contracts so that they aren't so one-sided?
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#2285326 - 06/07/23 05:25 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Remember always the Golden Rule -
"He who has the gold makes the rule!"

Return to Top
#2287207 - 08/01/23 03:58 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Reg Booster Offline
100 Club
Midwest
As a follow up to these responses - we are new to the secondary market. I have previously worked for other institutions that participated, but it has been a very long time. At the time, my previous institution instituted their own QC program, then sent the loans to an outsourced QC program. At that point, the mortgage loan was available to be sold to investors. My question is: Is there a requirement somewhere for there to be an internal QC performed? We currently have a QC plan with the outsourced group - is that enough? Can anyone give me a brief description of what our obligations are being the table funder? Thank you!

Return to Top
#2287211 - 08/01/23 05:02 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You really need to be asking your investors about this question. If you want the rules from FNMA, they can be found here: https://selling-guide.fanniemae.com...grams-Plans-and-Processes-08-07-2019.htm

Return to Top
#2287214 - 08/01/23 05:25 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Reg Booster Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Thank you, Randy. I have a QC document that was provided by an outside QC vendor; however, it seems as there are a lot of requirements of the bank also. I was hoping to get some examples of what other institutions may have in place as far as responsibility goes. Have you seen any other institutions that work similarly to what is stated above? Thanks!

Return to Top
#2287279 - 08/02/23 02:01 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are you required to perform QC internally rather than outsource it? Not that I am aware of. However, secondary QC requirements only involved a sample of loans and happen after the fact. Most secondary market lenders have some sort of QC set up for all loans either internally or externally, unless you want a bunch of repurchases landing on your doorstep.

Return to Top
#2287284 - 08/02/23 02:20 PM Re: Secondary Market kathomas
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We sell to Freddie and we outsource the post-closing QC requirements, primarily due to the re-verification requirements.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z