Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2243345 - 09/30/20 03:37 PM To use "MLO#" or "NMLS#" ?
Michelle Tellez Offline
New Poster
I'm sorry if this question seems redundant but I am new to learning the NMLS and use of the ID in signature or communication. I've tried searching the NMLS database without much success in reaching a conclusive answer to my question. We have some Loan Officers using "MLO#" and others using "NMLS#" in their signatures. One employee indicated that the use of MLO is only for mortgage lending so those Loan Officers that do not typically sell mortgages, only other types of commercial loans, would need to use NMLS instead. Does it matter which they use - MLO or NMLS? And would Mortgage Loan Officers be safe to use NMSL# instead of MLO# if we are trying to achieve consistency?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#2243354 - 09/30/20 04:34 PM Re: To use "MLO#" or "NMLS#" ? Michelle Tellez
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unique identifier means a number or other identifier that:

(1) Permanently identifies a registered mortgage loan originator;

(2) Is assigned by protocols established by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry and the Bureau to facilitate:

Ask them what organization issues MLO numbers. It is not an MLO number it is an NMLS number - end of story.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett