Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2244582 - 10/26/20 03:29 PM Merchant Credit Greater than Disputed Amount
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I am working on a Reg E compliance review and came across a dispute where the merchant credit is larger than the amount of the dispute filed. What if any is the Bank's obligation? We credited the card holder the full amount of the credit and closed the case. Should we have return the 481.00 overage?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2244590 - 10/26/20 04:02 PM Re: Merchant Credit Greater than Disputed Amount Soccer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You mean the merchant returned $481 more than the original transaction? I think that then becomes something between those two parties.

Return to Top
#2244598 - 10/26/20 04:42 PM Re: Merchant Credit Greater than Disputed Amount Soccer
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Yes,

Thanks Randy

Return to Top
#2244625 - 10/26/20 07:28 PM Re: Merchant Credit Greater than Disputed Amount Soccer
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
If the merchant realizes that they were on the losing end of a chargeback and also issued a refund to the customer, they can represent the chargeback, but only if they are within the VISA/MC timeframes to do so.

VISA/MC permit the merchant to send a "good faith collection letter" to an issuer requesting a refund of the overpayment. To Randy's point, that doesn't mean that you have to honor it and I wouldn't do so without the customer's consent to debit their account.

Return to Top
#2244678 - 10/27/20 04:11 PM Re: Merchant Credit Greater than Disputed Amount Soccer
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Thank you for the further clarification.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z