Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2243997 - 10/13/20 09:37 PM Newbie
Rachel G. Offline
Hi All!

I am new here. I moved from the credit union space to a small community bank as a Compliance Officer. I purchased the Lexis Nexis Regulatory Compliance Guide for Bankers, as I am used to using guides from NAFCU and CUNA. Do you have any other recommendations?

In general, please share any tips and tricks you have for me. This seems to be quite the adjustment (1 week in). My predecessor has an excellent compliance program, but it's along the lines of a much larger institution. So I a working as quickly as possible to learn what is in place and to take it on!

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2244036 - 10/14/20 07:05 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Welcome to BankersOnline, Rachel!

As far as tips, this is a great place to start. The forums are a great resource for both new questions and researching older threads.

Here are some things I would do if I was in your shoes:

1) Review prior exam reports to see what issues the regulators have identified previously and then look into how those issues were resolved - and if they weren't resolved yet, start here.
2) Review prior audit reports for compliance.
3) Familiarize your self with your regulator's compliance exam manual. The Fed, FDIC, and OCC all have different resources, but they all base their examinations off their own info, so that is often a good place to start.
4) Figure out when to expect your next compliance exam with your primary regulator. If your bank is state chartered, you may have a separate compliance exam, depending on the state.
5) Review your bank's compliance policies and risk assessments to get an idea of the institutions risk profile and risk appetite.

Beyond that, let us know how we can help, and best of luck getting your feet on the ground.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2244043 - 10/14/20 08:01 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
Rachel G. Offline
Thank you Adam! Helpful tips. I'll get started there. I am reading (read) policies and I am going over the various assessments, audits, and exams as well. Cheers to new beginnings!

Rachel

Return to Top
#2244047 - 10/14/20 08:20 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Hi Rachel,

I am not in compliance, but just wanted to say hello and welcome.

Teresa

Return to Top
#2244065 - 10/14/20 10:43 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted by Rachel G.
Hi All!

I am new here. I moved from the credit union space to a small community bank as a Compliance Officer.

Rachel

Welcome to the dark side of evil, tax-paying banks smile

Return to Top
#2244310 - 10/20/20 03:04 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Welcome aboard.

Return to Top
#2244523 - 10/23/20 02:23 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Rachel, you've made the wisest move already -- getting involved here at BOL! I can genuinely say that BOL has taught me more than any compliance guide out there. Take it one step at a time -- you surely feel like you are drinking from a firehose right now -- and digest things bit by bit. Post questions and learn much! There is a depth of knowledge here that can't be beat. smile

Also, one of my favorite research tricks is to Google the keywords of your matter at hand, followed by "site:www.bankersonline.com" after the words in the search bar. That will turn Google's powerful search engine into finding hits just on this site.

Best of luck and welcome! You are in the right place. smile

Return to Top
#2244597 - 10/26/20 04:29 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
RebekahL adds more than I do when I google. I'm a KISSer and somewhat lazy too. laugh Just enter your question followed by bankersonline and you'll get BOL answers.

And remember: in this business, there is no such thing as a dumb question. There are so many nuances and permutations buried under tons of legalese that all of us question something every.single.day.

Welcome!

Return to Top
#2244607 - 10/26/20 05:32 PM Re: Newbie Rachel G.
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I'll disagree with Truffle (ever so slightly). There is indeed a dumb question - the question you leave unasked!

As others have said, this is a great resource. Use it often.

Return to Top