Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2244729 - 10/28/20 12:48 PM Sharing Customer Email Addresses
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Good Morning! Our marketing department is wanting to set up geofencing advertising using an outside vendor. We currently have a contract with the vendor, who we currently do commercial advertising with. However, this vendor uses a third party for their geofencing advertising. I asked the marketing department to fill out a vendor due diligence form and risk assessment where they stated we would be sharing our customers email addresses with both vendors. I have asked for specifics as to why they need the email addresses and what they will do with them, and I'm still waiting on an answer. My question to all of you, is what concerns I need to have with sharing this information. As far as I know, we will not be advertising thru email, but again, I haven't received a specific answer. Our Privacy policy does state we can share information for marketing purposes and they can't limit this sharing. Do I need to make sure that any contract we currently have also states the purpose for this information and that they will not disclose this information to anyone else? We do not have a contract with the third party - only the vendor that is using this third party - should we have a separate contract with the third party? Also - if we are not advertising thru email in this way - does the CAN-SPAM Act come into play? Anything I need to worry about there?

I appreciate any help I can get!
Thanks!

Return to Top
Marketing
#2244735 - 10/28/20 01:50 PM Re: Sharing Customer Email Addresses Bankwoman1
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Does not your contract with your vendor already prohibition them from further sharing of any information? I suggest you find a new vendor. Once this information passes to a third party - you have lost all control.

Return to Top
#2244737 - 10/28/20 02:01 PM Re: Sharing Customer Email Addresses Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
That is another thing I am in the process of trying to find out Randy.

Return to Top
#2244738 - 10/28/20 02:06 PM Re: Sharing Customer Email Addresses Bankwoman1
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
And what confuses me is if they won't be using the e-mail addresses for marketing purposes - why do they need them?

Return to Top
#2244740 - 10/28/20 02:07 PM Re: Sharing Customer Email Addresses Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Skittles - that is confusing me also. I have asked the reasoning for needing them a couple of times and I am still waiting for an answer.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker