Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2244495 - 10/22/20 09:04 PM MAPR Calculation Question
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
For MAPR Calculation purposes we are required to include "application fee" would this be the same thing as an "origination fee"?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2244498 - 10/22/20 09:59 PM Re: MAPR Calculation Question TeamComply
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
I am not sure if application fee and origination fee are synonymous, I would say that they are not. That said, finance charges are required to be included in the MAPR calculation and an origination fee is a finance charge.

Return to Top
#2244896 - 10/30/20 06:40 PM Re: MAPR Calculation Question TeamComply
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The definitions of an application fee and an origination fee in my mind are different, but your definition can certainly vary. Regardless, the MAPR rules address this based on the plain language of the term, "application fee" and it's included:

https://www.bankersonline.com/regulations/32-232-004

232.4(c)(1)(iii)(B) Any application fee charged to a covered borrower who applies for consumer credit, other than an application fee charged by a Federal credit union or an insured depository institution when making a short-term, small amount loan, provided that the application fee is charged to the covered borrower not more than once in any rolling 12-month period; and
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2292156 - 01/04/24 02:54 PM Re: MAPR Calculation Question TeamComply
Banker75 Offline
For the MAPR, would you include GAP with credit insurance for the MAPR calculation? We don't get these loans very often and therefore I'm a little rusty. Trying to determine if this would be included like credit insurance or excluded under the reg.

Return to Top
#2292233 - 01/07/24 01:50 PM Re: MAPR Calculation Question TeamComply
Andy Z Offline
If you have a purchase money exception, no, because the loan is exempt. Otherwise yes, as it is an insurance item related to the transaction.

Return to Top
#2292237 - 01/08/24 01:44 PM Re: MAPR Calculation Question TeamComply
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
From the 4th circuit court - April 2023

https://www.consumerfinancemonitor....ith-vehicle-purchase-is-exempt-from-mla/

We don't sell GAP and we also do not do dealer financing so it's not something I've researched extensively. In fact since the implementation of the MLA we have only made 2 covered loans.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z