Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2245612 - 11/17/20 08:40 PM Fee Question
Refresher2020 Offline
I'm new to a lot of things compliance related. I know zero about Servicing and payoffs. I looked through Reg Z and Reg X without luck. Can anyone help with this?

We have been charging a set amount for each Certificate of Satisfaction we are having recorded once an in-house loan has been paid off.
This is charged for the payoff regardless of what the county/city charges. Does this recording fee charge need to be the exact amount of what the county/city charges? or can it include a difference to cover our administrative costs.

Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#2245619 - 11/17/20 09:38 PM Re: Fee Question Refresher2020
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Whether you can charge a fee or not and if it is limited would be a matter of your loan contract and State law. Any unearned fees represent a Section 8 issue, so if you are charging administrative costs, prepare to defend them.

Return to Top
#2245626 - 11/17/20 11:29 PM Re: Fee Question Refresher2020
Refresher2020 Offline
Ok, so we should charge the exact recording fee to release the lien and if they want to charge an administrative fee than they can but it must identified as such.

Return to Top
#2245628 - 11/18/20 12:14 PM Re: Fee Question Refresher2020
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Itemization is purely a business decision.

Return to Top
#2245760 - 11/20/20 08:55 PM Re: Fee Question Refresher2020
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I assume this is charged when the debt is extinguished and is not prepaid at consummation?

Years ago we had a big to-do because liens had to be released and lenders charged the fee when the loan was made. But when the loans were paid off, the filing fees had gone up and they either wanted more money from the borrower or didn't release the lien.

I suppose one question is, are you required to file this or to just provide it to the borrower, and then does state law allow a fee to be imposed? If a fee is allowed, is a markup allowed?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top