Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2245640 - 11/18/20 05:24 PM Building with firewall
Comply13 Offline
USA
We have a large commercial building as collateral that has had a firewall installed in order to sell off a portion of the building. Does a firewall consider buildings to be separate and therefore require separate flood insurance policies? Would this situation be similar to condos that are not covered by RCBAP policies?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2245645 - 11/18/20 06:37 PM Re: Building with firewall Comply13
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I do not believe that a firewall alone would make it two separate buildings. However, if the buildings are going to be separately titled and can be owned and sold separately, the fact that they have a common wall would lead me to believe that they would be required to be separately insured. The fact that they can be separately sold does not make them condos.

A solid wall only really comes into play when you are talking about an addition or extension to a building, then the standard NFIP policy has the following to say:

Additions and extensions attached to and in contact with the building by means of a rigid exterior wall, a solid loadbearing interior wall, a stairway, an elevated walkway, or a roof. At your option, additions and extensions connected by any of these methods may be separately insured. Additions and extensions attached to and in contact with the building by means of a common interior wall that is not a solid load-bearing wall are always considered part of the building and cannot be separately insured.

Return to Top