Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2245764 - 11/20/20 09:38 PM CTR filing
Bjet Offline
I have a CTR that needs to be filed, can you help with how this CTR should be reported?

Customer has a Corporate business account which husband and wife are signers on with our financial institution. The wife writes a check payable to her husband off of the Corporate business account with us in the amount of $18,000. The wife brings the check payable to her husband off of the Corporate business account at our financial institution to be cashed. The check she presented to our teller was payable to her husband and was already endorsed by her husband so the teller had her endorse the check as well since she was the one taking the cash. Would we only need to report on the wife since she is the one that took the cash?

Thank you.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2245766 - 11/21/20 12:06 AM Re: CTR filing Bjet
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
I'd indicate that both benefit from the transaction.

Return to Top
#2245803 - 11/23/20 10:59 PM Re: CTR filing ColoradoAML
Bjet Offline
So on Part I would you list the wife as 2a person conducting transaction on own behalf and for the husband list 2b person on whose behalf transaction was conducted??

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Return to Top
#2245816 - 11/24/20 03:00 PM Re: CTR filing Bjet
ColoradoAML Offline
Gold Star
Yes, that's exactly how I'd complete it.

For what it's worth, I think if you were to complete this as wife for her own benefit or wife for someone else because you (or your teller) understood the transaction that way, I think you'd still be right in both cases. Without that clear understanding, I think this is the most readily justifiable way to complete it without having to over think it.

Return to Top
#2245817 - 11/24/20 03:16 PM Re: CTR filing ColoradoAML
Bjet Offline
Thank you so much, appreciate your help!!

Return to Top
#2245852 - 11/24/20 09:43 PM Re: CTR filing Bjet
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Wife - 2a
Husband - 2c
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2245853 - 11/24/20 09:45 PM Re: CTR filing Bjet
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Unless you know that the check cashing was done on behalf of the business. That's a possibility, after all. In that case, Wife would be 2b and the business would be 2c.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2245859 - 11/24/20 10:34 PM Re: CTR filing John Burnett
Bjet Offline
Thank you.

Return to Top
#2245874 - 11/25/20 03:20 PM Re: CTR filing Bjet
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted by Bjet
I have a CTR that needs to be filed, can you help with how this CTR should be reported?

Customer has a Corporate business account which husband and wife are signers on with our financial institution. The wife writes a check payable to her husband off of the Corporate business account with us in the amount of $18,000. The wife brings the check payable to her husband off of the Corporate business account at our financial institution to be cashed. The check she presented to our teller was payable to her husband and was already endorsed by her husband so the teller had her endorse the check as well since she was the one taking the cash. Would we only need to report on the wife since she is the one that took the cash?

Thank you.

The problem with your scenario is that nowhere does it say that anyone at the bank ASKED the conductor the purpose of the transaction. The one thing we know is the wife was the conductor, but we don't know whether she completed the transaction (a) on her own behalf, (b) on her own behalf and on behalf of her husband, (c) on behalf of her husband only, (d) on behalf of the corporation, or (e) on behalf of some other combination of players in this drama. That leaves the bank in the position of having to make some presumptions, when a well-trained teller may have been able to determine the purpose of the transaction with a simple question.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z