Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2245924 - 11/27/20 08:28 PM HELOC to Purchase 2nd Home - ROR?
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We have a borrower that wants to use a HELOC on their primary residence to purchase a 2nd home. I know we'll have to require ROR to be signed, but does the initial draw to purchase the 2nd home qualify under the residential purchase ROR exemption?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2245925 - 11/27/20 08:33 PM Re: HELOC to Purchase 2nd Home - ROR? TMatt87
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Hi TMatt!

I pulled this from regulation Z. From what I read it states that the line has to be secured by the property being purchased. I believe the loan you are questioning would not have this exemption.

f) Exempt transactions. The right to rescind does not apply to the following:

(1) A residential mortgage transaction.

(2) A credit plan in which a state agency is a creditor.

Official Interpretation
15(f) Exempt Transactions
1. Residential mortgage transaction. Although residential mortgage transactions would seldom be made on bona fide open-end credit plans (under which repeated transactions must be reasonably contemplated), an advance on an open-end plan could be for a downpayment for the purchase of a dwelling that would then secure the remainder of the line. In such a case, only the particular advance for the downpayment would be exempt from the rescission right.

Return to Top
#2245926 - 11/27/20 08:38 PM Re: HELOC to Purchase 2nd Home - ROR? TMatt87
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Thanks for the quick response.

Return to Top
#2245928 - 11/27/20 09:01 PM Re: HELOC to Purchase 2nd Home - ROR? TMatt87
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
RofR will always be required in that scenario. While a residential mortgage transaction is exempt, a residential mortgage transaction only involves a security interest that is created or retained in the consumer's principal dwelling to finance the acquisition or initial construction of that dwelling. It has nothing to do with purchasing a 2nd home.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z