Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2245979 - 11/30/20 10:18 PM Customer with dementia
Everest Offline
Gold Star
I am wondering what everyone does when one of their customers has dementia? We have a deposit account that is joint with mother and son. The son has informed us that his mother has dementia and would like her removed from the account? The son does not have POA for his mother. What do others do in this situation? What can be done?

Thanks.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2245981 - 11/30/20 10:28 PM Re: Customer with dementia Everest
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
We don't remove people from accounts unless they are deceased and we have a copy of the death certificate. If the son wants the mother removed he can request the account be closed and you could open a new account with just him on it.

Return to Top
#2245982 - 11/30/20 10:38 PM Re: Customer with dementia Everest
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Ditto RockChucker. You don't have any medical experts working at the bank so rather than inject yourself into what could be a family dispute, a clean break between one ownership type and another is the way to go.

The medical status of the joint owner is really a red herring in this discussion. See this recent thread from last week. It links to several discussions regarding the removal of joint owners.

Related Thread

Return to Top
#2245993 - 12/01/20 03:08 PM Re: Customer with dementia Everest
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I agree with the others here. If the son is that concerned, let him close the account and open a new one in his name only.

Return to Top
#2246008 - 12/01/20 04:51 PM Re: Customer with dementia Everest
Everest Offline
Gold Star
Thanks all I really appreciate the feedback. I did also just find my state law that also reiterates....cannot remove but can close the account and transfer funds into a new account.

Return to Top
#2246015 - 12/01/20 06:02 PM Re: Customer with dementia Everest
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted by bamboozled
Thanks all I really appreciate the feedback. I did also just find my state law that also reiterates....cannot remove but can close the account and transfer funds into a new account.

Can't really ask for a much more definitive answer than that!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett