Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2246001 - 12/01/20 03:55 PM Reporting to ChexSystems - Required?
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
We utilize ChexSystems when opening deposit accounts. We have been notified by FIS that we are required to report any charged off deposit accounts to them. Is this truly a requirement under FCRA? I thought reporting to them was at the discretion of the financial institution.

Return to Top
#2246006 - 12/01/20 04:32 PM Re: Reporting to ChexSystems - Required? CSB98
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, you either have a contract with ChexSystems or you do not. Usually, if you have a contract with them, then such requirements are a condition of using their services. They are not going to allow you to use their services and then not report your own accounts to them accurately.

Return to Top
#2246017 - 12/01/20 06:08 PM Re: Reporting to ChexSystems - Required? CSB98
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Besides, what use is the product if the participating banks are not reporting cahrged off accounts? Would you use it if other banks didn't report? I thought not.

Return to Top
#2246019 - 12/01/20 06:13 PM Re: Reporting to ChexSystems - Required? CSB98
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
We don't necessarily use it to determine if we are going to open an account. We mainly use it to verify information and run OFAC checks prior to the account being opened.

Return to Top
#2246021 - 12/01/20 06:21 PM Re: Reporting to ChexSystems - Required? CSB98
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think the point that I was trying to make is that it comes down to the services contract you have with ChexSystems and FIS. You need to start there. If it is not in your contract with them as a requirement for using their services, then ask them point blank as to what the heck are they talking about.

Return to Top
#2252494 - 04/16/21 05:32 PM Re: Reporting to ChexSystems - Required? CSB98
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
We received a similar notice and explained that we don't close an account for reasons that require reporting very often. As for using ChexSystems for your OFAC verification, your core system or AML software may offer an alternative.

Return to Top