Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2246599 - 12/16/20 03:36 PM Non Liquid Assets
LHubbard Offline
It's been a while since I've been in the compliance world but have had a question.

Borrower doesn't show quite enough income to qualify but has over $90K in vehicles that he plans on selling to make his loan payments. Can those be included in the calculation of the ability to repay the debt.
Total debt will only be about $115K.

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#2246601 - 12/16/20 03:38 PM Re: Non Liquid Assets LHubbard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Depends if your internal policies address it and whether you are underwriting to ATR standards or QM standards. I assume this is a portfolio loan.

Return to Top
#2246602 - 12/16/20 03:40 PM Re: Non Liquid Assets LHubbard
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We would not include the "intent" to sell as a means of repayment.

If after the loan is made he changes his mind about selling the vehicles then how do you "intend" to get repaid?

Return to Top
#2246625 - 12/16/20 07:04 PM Re: Non Liquid Assets LHubbard
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Keep in mind also that, if your bank and the loan meet the criteria (which include asset size and loan parameters, including holding in portfolio) of Section 101 of the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act of 2018 (Public Law No: 115-174), you only have to consider income, debt, and financial resources of the borrower and the only stipulation about that consideration is that it doesn't have to be done in accordance with Appendix Q or any successor regulation and that multiple means of documentation are allowed. Under this, the loan will be deemed to be a Safe Harbor QM loan which means ATR cannot be raised as a defense to any collection action on that loan.

Return to Top
#2246738 - 12/18/20 06:53 PM Re: Non Liquid Assets LHubbard
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I recognize the ATR and QM rules can come into play and bank policy is an influence as well. But at the end of the day, the statement "Borrower doesn't show quite enough income to qualify..." worries me. If he doesn't cash flow, which wasn't specifically stated, it's dead in the water to me on a loan desk.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top