Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2248403 - 01/29/21 08:14 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
My husband and I got the Pfizer vaccine last Monday and can't wait for the second dose scheduled for mid-February. Maybe it's the collection of dead friends that convinced us?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2248404 - 01/29/21 08:23 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
We have a friend who's a priest that participated in the one of the Moderna clinical trials last summer. He just found out he got the actual vaccine and is quite happy about it. Here's his FB post with a lot of detail:
As you make decisions when your group comes up, I offer these perspectives of the science of the vaccine study- and its safety. Undoubtedly you will hear about a few people who have had serious reactions (that which is debilitating). The overwhelming number of people getting the vaccine have "normal" reactions like a headache, fever, muscle aches, feeling tired, etc. Those normal reactions are your immune system reacting to the vaccine and building antibodies.
There is a ton of misinformation going around so be discerning on where the info is coming from and the motives behind it. Obviously this is a personal choice- but I will say that in the Moderna study of those who received the vaccine and still caught covid- 100% of them did not have severe illness or hospitalization. The vaccine is 95% effective against preventing infection- and for those who are infected the course of the disease is mild.
The group of study participants I am in will continue with the study for another 18 months. Here is what is going on in the study and how they look for data:
- I'm in a group of 30,000 people- 1/2 who got the vaccine and 1/2 who didn't. (Everyone now has the opportunity to be unblinded and receive the vaccine if they didn't.)
-The study will determine a number of things: A) efficacy of the vaccine B) safety- that is is the vaccine safe and doesn't cause severe reactions, C) Side-effects- what if any side effects happen, etc.
Here is what the study has been like so far.
-the first step was a health assessment and determination of risk as to COVID. The study had to get people of many age groups, ethnic backgrounds and pre-existing conditions.
- the second step was blood tests and further health history and assessment. Then the first dosage was given.
-the next 7 days you fill out a health form each day with details of how you are responding to the vaccine.
-Every week for 8 weeks you talk with a nurse and go over a detailed questionnaire of symptoms, etc.
-if you are exposed to covid or show any symptoms- you report in immediately and more assessment and follow up happens.
-every four weeks you go in to see a doctor and nurse, have a blood test, and follow up assessments.
- at week four you get the second dosage of the vaccine (or saline) you follow the same protocol as before.
-after 8 weeks you enter a slightly different pattern. You fill out a questionnaire once a week and have a conversation with a nurse every 2-4 weeks. Blood tests are done at 4 months, 8 months and 12 months out from the initial dosage.
I thought you might appreciate hearing about the study as you way getting the vaccine or not. I'm not going to debate the vaccine here- just offering what the studies look at. There is a LOT of research and data- and the structures of the study are well supported.
I signed up as this is one of the best paths toward getting out of this mess in my mind. It has some risks, but the greater risk is to society if we don't have some solutions.

Return to Top
#2248419 - 01/29/21 10:29 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
What they often don't mention in these clinical trials is that they eliminate candidates who don't meet certain health criteria which can really alter the results.

That said, can someone tell me the difference from getting Covid and developing the antibodies and getting the vaccine and developing the antibodies, besides the idea that would be milder symptoms for some people?

Return to Top
#2248422 - 01/29/21 10:39 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
You don't have to risk catching covid and dying by taking the vaccine. Or.....your risks of catching covid and dying are greatly reduced.
Last edited by raitchjay; 01/29/21 10:46 PM.

Return to Top
#2248424 - 01/29/21 10:51 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Rock......i don't claim to know what they do or don't do in these trials....but i will point out that in HMS Pippii's post above, from the priest....it says "The study had to get people of many age groups, ethnic backgrounds and pre-existing conditions." That doesn't make it sound like they're weeding out people who are unhealthy and might not give them the results they want.
Last edited by raitchjay; 01/29/21 10:55 PM.

Return to Top
#2248437 - 01/30/21 04:39 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Several co-workers have had COVID and I asked one of them the other day if he was donating plasma. He said no, his window is closed. I asked about the window. He said that after 3 months, you don't have any (or enough) useful antibodies in your blood anymore so those who have recovered from COVID can only date for that short period right after they have had it. (Or this is what he was told).

Return to Top
#2248458 - 02/01/21 03:30 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
As someone who is currently recovering from Covid - I would have done just about anything not to have gotten this. It lingers and full recovery takes a very long time. I was/am not in the tier that they are currently giving vaccinations to . They gave me no medicine for this and just told be me to take Vitamins, C, D, Zinc and drink lots of fluids. Apparently there is nothing they can do unless you are at death's door.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2248460 - 02/01/21 03:44 PM Re: The Rona vaccine waldensouth
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted by waldensouth
As someone who is currently recovering from Covid - I would have done just about anything not to have gotten this. It lingers and full recovery takes a very long time. I was/am not in the tier that they are currently giving vaccinations to . They gave me no medicine for this and just told be me to take Vitamins, C, D, Zinc and drink lots of fluids. Apparently there is nothing they can do unless you are at death's door.

I'm glad you are starting to feel better, I can attest, it's a rough ride. I recovered pretty quickly, my husband not so much.

Return to Top
#2248463 - 02/01/21 04:06 PM Re: The Rona vaccine HappyGilmore
one deer Offline
Any where but work
HMS Pippii thanks for sharing your friends insights about Moderna vaccine and if you get the chance thank him from me for his selflessness in participating in the clinical trials. I am going to take his insights to heart. My 82 year old mother took her first Covid shot and had injection sight soreness, that's it. She also survived Covid PTL.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3