Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2247513 - 01/12/21 05:15 PM Meet Reg. DD definition of bonus?
Puzzled Offline
100 Club
We are looking at creating an account where if the customer meets certain criteria we will make a donation on behalf of the customer to a list of charitable organization that the customer can choose from. We would send the donation directly to the organization.

At first glance at the Reg. DD definition of bonus I thought this would be considered a bonus; but the definition states “given or offered to a consumer” which in this case we wouldn’t be giving the funds to the consumer but would be giving the funds to the charitable organization.

(f) Bonus means a premium, gift, award, or other consideration worth more than $10 (whether in the form of cash, credit, merchandise, or any equivalent) given or offered to a consumer during a year in exchange for opening, maintaining, renewing, or increasing an account balance. The term does not include interest, other consideration worth $10 or less given during a year, the waiver or reduction of a fee, or the absorption of expenses.

Would a charitable donation made on behalf of the customer be considered a bonus under Reg. DD? In my opinion, we are offering the charitable donation made on behalf of the customer and this is is definitely consideration.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2247518 - 01/12/21 05:40 PM Re: Meet Reg. DD definition of bonus? Puzzled
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless this is made in a manner where the customer can deduct the charitable contribution from their taxes, it is not made on their behalf.

Return to Top
#2247522 - 01/12/21 06:38 PM Re: Meet Reg. DD definition of bonus? Puzzled
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Even then, if the amount donated can be claimed as a charitable deduction, I don't think the taxpayer gets $10 in value unless the deduction is large enough to impact their tax bill by $10.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett