Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2248337 - 01/28/21 08:58 PM Fraud Forms and Esign Act
Community Banker Offline
100 Club
Our operations department would like to begin sending VISA fraud dispute forms to our customers electronically. I believe that this still requires compliance with the Esign Act. I’m getting some pushback on that and would like to know if I am on base or missing it entirely. Thank you in advance for your help.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2248340 - 01/28/21 09:16 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
There are two components to ESIGN. The first simply establishes that an electronic signature has the same legal weight as a wet signature. The second requires the ESIGN disclosure and demonstrable consent to receive required disclosures and statements electronically.

A VISA fraud dispute form is not a required disclosure or statement so sending these via email is fine. (However if they contain sensitive information like names, account numbers, etc. I would make sure they are sent encrypted.)

The only written requirement to the Reg E process is that you must provide a written notice if you conclude that no error occurred in 1005.11(d). Without the ESIGN hoops, this notice would have to be snail mailed.

Return to Top
#2248439 - 01/30/21 05:01 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would consider this question from a future perspective. I agree with Brian and I would recommend using E-SIGN compliant procedures if you have the capacity. Essentially, I would include Reg E in your E-SIGN agreement if you are using E-SIGN already and you are covered. If it isn't in there, make it so. The more you include in your E-SIGN agreement the better because it allows you to react quicker when there is a need and an ability on the consumers part. Without E-SIGN you could send non-federally required disclosures, but if someone then slips up and sends a federally required form without E-SIGN in place, you have a problem.

Also remember that the E-SIGN hoops like demonstrable consent are consumer protections. Commercial customers do not have that requirement.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2248443 - 01/30/21 05:41 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Does the esign hoop work both ways? If a consumer emails us a dispute, do we have to provide provisional credit, or would they have to snail-mail the notice to us for it to count as a signed? We normally handle this through esign, but from time to time a member will email our "contactus" and not respond to requests to esign a dispute form.

Return to Top
#2248444 - 01/30/21 06:37 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Since an electronic signature has the same legal standing as a wet signature, I consider an email notice of error to quality as notice in writing and provisional credit would be required.

A customer does not have to provide demonstrable consent here because they are sending to the email to you, not receiving a required statement or disclosure from you.

Return to Top
#2248488 - 02/01/21 06:26 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
The "demonstrable consent" requirement applies only to-
a. recipients of e-documents, who are also
b. consumers.

A bank (or entity) can be a recipient, but it can't be a consumer.

Return to Top
#2248503 - 02/01/21 07:50 PM Re: Fraud Forms and Esign Act Community Banker
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
Thank you Richard and Brian!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z