Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2249167 - 02/12/21 04:00 PM Re: Polar Vortex RR Sarah
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Originally Posted by RR Sarah
It was -29 when I woke up this morning. frown No wind chill though so...yay????

The same here in Eastern Montana too! My kids were actually rooting for the thermometer to hit -30. My 14 year old son put it into perspective for his 8 year old sister: we are 60 degrees below freezing!

Return to Top
#2249168 - 02/12/21 04:02 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Geez - and I complain when our temps hit the teens and low 20s!

The absolute lowest temperature reading I can remember is -14. We can get some extended cold streaks here, but we aren't used to that!

Return to Top
#2249169 - 02/12/21 04:24 PM Re: Polar Vortex burkemi
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by burkemi
Geez - and I complain when our temps hit the teens and low 20s!

For good reason.......teens and 20s are way too cold!

Return to Top
#2249170 - 02/12/21 04:25 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I remember it going down to -20 more than once when I lived in Southern Indiana. Working in Louisville, KY in the early 80's I remember it being so cold that the Ohio River froze over and people (not smart ones) were walking across it. We could see them from the windows of our building.

Return to Top
#2249222 - 02/15/21 01:54 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
looks like this stupid storm has made it's way to the deep south, texas and louisiana impacted...i am working from home, my fellow louisianians have no idea how to drive on ice or snow covered roads, they think it is just business as usual and cause wrecks like crazy. no thanks...

Return to Top
#2249224 - 02/15/21 03:29 PM Re: Polar Vortex HappyGilmore
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
looks like this stupid storm has made it's way to the deep south, texas and louisiana impacted...i am working from home, my fellow louisianians have no idea how to drive on ice or snow covered roads, they think it is just business as usual and cause wrecks like crazy. no thanks...

And that's before you even consider the lack of ice/snow removal equipment and winter tires in the deep south.

Return to Top
#2249232 - 02/16/21 01:36 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Middle TN got lots of snow/ice. Several of our branches are closed today and the 7 that are open have limited hours. Supposed to get more snow starting tomorrow and possibly through the end of the week.

Everyone stay home as best you can - and stay safe.

Return to Top
#2249233 - 02/16/21 02:01 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Yes please stay safe. I have several coworkers in San Antonio and Plano Texas who have been without power or only limited power (10 minutes per hour) since 2 AM on Feb 15. Temps in the teens and concerns about pipes freezing as no power to keep furnaces running. Praying for quick resolution and safety for all.

Return to Top
#2249236 - 02/16/21 02:56 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
7 degrees, snow and ice, wind turbines are frozen, I have not had water since Sunday, many of my neighbors are without power, running out of firewood, cattle are out there somewhere.....just another day in south Texas paradise......

Return to Top
#2249240 - 02/16/21 03:32 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
upper 20s here and rapidly dropping. Sleet started falling again. Temperature is projected to keep falling through the day and over night, with lows expected to reach single digits or low teens.

Everyone stay safe and warm.

Return to Top
#2249241 - 02/16/21 03:35 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I have buddies in Austin sending me pictures of 6 inches of snow on top of an inch of ice … at least, up here, we have ways of dealing with it.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2249243 - 02/16/21 03:55 PM Re: Polar Vortex DoS
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
And that is the norm for us. I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

On a positive note, our temps will be above zero today for the first time in 10 days...

Return to Top
#2249248 - 02/16/21 05:05 PM Re: Polar Vortex Pale Rider
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Originally Posted by Pale Rider
7 degrees, snow and ice, wind turbines are frozen, I have not had water since Sunday, many of my neighbors are without power, running out of firewood, cattle are out there somewhere.....just another day in south Texas paradise......

Meanwhile, all the way up here in Montana (hitting a balmy 4 degrees this morning), I received notice from our power company that regional power suppliers (i.e. from coal-driven producers) are implementing rolling blackouts, as power in the national grid is diverted to help out the frozen Green power down south.

We are happy to share, but this should make everyone rethink the entire power supply dilemma. Actually, to be truthful, I imagine the Keystone Pipeline folks who lost their jobs aren't feeling so charitable about it...
Last edited by RebekahL CRCM; 02/16/21 05:12 PM.

Return to Top
#2249258 - 02/16/21 07:03 PM Re: Polar Vortex RebekahL CRCM
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted by RebekahL CRCM
Originally Posted by Pale Rider

Meanwhile, all the way up here in Montana (hitting a balmy 4 degrees this morning), I received notice from our power company that regional power suppliers (i.e. from coal-driven producers) are implementing rolling blackouts, as power in the national grid is diverted to help out the frozen Green power down south.

We are happy to share, but this should make everyone rethink the entire power supply dilemma. Actually, to be truthful, I imagine the Keystone Pipeline folks who lost their jobs aren't feeling so charitable about it...

Amen! Montana is the best, even if it was -22 when I was going to church on Sunday.

Return to Top
#2249263 - 02/16/21 08:01 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
WEATHER WARNING!!

Southerners are urged not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Northerners, you will need your big coat.

Return to Top
#2249269 - 02/16/21 08:53 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
It's up to 21 here today, and felt almost balmy walking the dogs at lunch.

Return to Top
#2249270 - 02/16/21 08:55 PM Re: Polar Vortex Retired DQ
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted by DeeQ
WEATHER WARNING!!

Southerners are urged not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Northerners, you will need your big coat.

Word.

Return to Top
#2249276 - 02/16/21 10:09 PM Re: Polar Vortex TB 12
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I'm good with that. I've been in both areas. I'll stick to the South.

Return to Top
#2249300 - 02/17/21 06:06 PM Re: Polar Vortex RebekahL CRCM
Q Offline
My understanding is that natural gas makes up majority of their power supply and the lines are currently frozen due to not being insulated for cold weather.

Return to Top
#2249328 - 02/17/21 08:51 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
We were closed yesterday due to the amount of snow--12-15 inches, with temps in the single digits without the wind factor.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2249443 - 02/19/21 03:58 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I made it off my property for the first time since Sunday. We got probably 11" of snow which is unheard of here. We don't have salt/sand trucks or snow plows. We kept power except for a couple short blackouts. Our water stayed thawed. Friends were not as lucky so they sheltered with us for a few days. Forecast is calling for 3 hours above freezing today. I think I'll go sunbathe.

fyi the power grid was actually weakened by the fossil fuels. Wind and solar actually outproduced natural gas through this whole crisis. The folks in TX that sign up for variable rate electricity (meaning fossil fuel generated electricity) are already seeing bills of several thousand dollars. TX is going to need a lot of assistance to recover.

Return to Top
#2249456 - 02/19/21 05:50 PM Re: Polar Vortex CompliantOkie
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted by CompliantOkie

fyi the power grid was actually weakened by the fossil fuels. Wind and solar actually outproduced natural gas through this whole crisis. The folks in TX that sign up for variable rate electricity (meaning fossil fuel generated electricity) are already seeing bills of several thousand dollars. TX is going to need a lot of assistance to recover.

Be careful of the cool aide. The specific power supply units might not have been designed for the type of weather TX experienced but it has nothing to do with fossil fuels not working. We have been below freezing for over 2 weeks and running on fossil fuels without any issues at all.

Return to Top
#2249462 - 02/19/21 06:02 PM Re: Polar Vortex RockChucker, CAMS
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by RockChucker, CAMS
Originally Posted by CompliantOkie

Be careful of the cool aide. The specific power supply units might not have been designed for the type of weather TX experienced but it has nothing to do with fossil fuels not working. We have been below freezing for over 2 weeks and running on fossil fuels without any issues at all.

The fact that Texas usually has mild winters, and so plants are offline for scheduled maintenance in preparation for summer has far more to do the current outages than "fossil fuels not working." These planned outages were exacerbated by some wind farms offline because they weren't hardened against extreme cold and some solar offline because panels were covered in several inches of ice and snow.

Variable rate electricity does not necessarily mean fossil fuel generated electricity. It means someone chose to buy at going market rates instead of locking in a rate per kilowatt hour. As might be expected, market rates skyrocketed during a period of much higher than expected demand with significant production offline.

Return to Top
#2249472 - 02/19/21 07:13 PM Re: Polar Vortex Skittles
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We have a member that is with a variable rate provider. They have charged him $2,485 since February 15th. They withdraw via the debit card from his account several times a day. His normal payment is $175 per month. The electrical provider's website states that electricity is currently $9.00 per kilowatt hour.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3