Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2249611 - 02/23/21 07:02 PM Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood
MLundy Offline
We have a residential mortgage where the home was removed from a flood zone, but they also have a Horse Stable/Arena on the property that is still in a flood zone. Do we still need coverage for this structure?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2249615 - 02/23/21 07:23 PM Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood MLundy
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Is the stable/arena used primarily for (a) personal, family, or household purposes, or (b) agricultural, commercial or other business purposes?
Last edited by John Burnett; 02/23/21 07:28 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2249621 - 02/23/21 08:31 PM Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood John Burnett
MLundy Offline
I'm not completely sure? I've reached out to the client without success. It could be a blend if they have their own horses, but I believe they run a vet chiropractic business from the property as well.

Return to Top
#2249625 - 02/23/21 09:06 PM Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood MLundy
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I believe they run a vet chiropractic business from the property as well.

If that is the case then it will not qualify for the detached structure exemption.

Return to Top
#2249640 - 02/23/21 11:21 PM Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood MLundy
MLundy Offline
Thank you very much!!

Return to Top
#2249705 - 02/24/21 07:11 PM Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood MLundy
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
To add clarification to Dan's answer, the detached structure would require flood insurance if the vet chiropractic business operates out of the stable. If the vet business doesn't (such as operating out of a third building), and the stable is solely used for personal/household purposes, it could qualify for the detached structure exemption (assuming it also does not serve as a residence.

It can be a bit complex to dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the detached structure exemption. Rather than expand on this thread about all of the requirements, here is an article on the detached structure exemption that lays out the requirements: https://www.compliancecohort.com/blog/detached-structure-flood-insurance-exemption

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top