Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2249795 - 02/25/21 09:20 PM Adding charges for Loan B to Loan A's payoff
crcmnot Offline
Gold Star
Mortgage broker works for our bank; he has duel roles. He originates TRID loans that are in our portfolio and he brokers loans through secondary market investors that are originated on that side. Sometimes customer has Loan A in our portfolio (temp construction loan) and then same customer has Loan B (const perm financing) through secondary market and pays off our Loan A.

A customer owes an appraisal fee for a potential Loan B that did not come to fruition on the secondary market side and Mortgage broker wants to add that fee to our portfolio Loan A at payoff. Is there a compliance issue here at all? I just wasn't sure if we could put charges from one loan onto another when Loan B would not have been in our portfolio. Appraisal fee is for same property, of course.

Thank you.
Last edited by crcmnot; 02/25/21 09:30 PM. Reason: to correct title
Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2249797 - 02/25/21 09:36 PM Re: Adding charges for Loan B to Loan A's payoff crcmnot
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
How does that appraisal fee remotely apply to a loan already on your books? What would be your legal authority to add an unrelated fee to the loan?

Return to Top
#2249800 - 02/25/21 09:45 PM Re: Adding charges for Loan B to Loan A's payoff Dan Persfull
crcmnot Offline
Gold Star
Well, that is exactly why I was asking the guru's in here. I have never in my 20 years of working in loan servicing ever been asked that question. I guess there is a first time for everything!

Return to Top
#2249806 - 02/25/21 10:31 PM Re: Adding charges for Loan B to Loan A's payoff crcmnot
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am sure you realize the type of conflict of interest that is present here? I know that is another issue. This might not even be legal in some States.

Return to Top
#2249807 - 02/25/21 10:33 PM Re: Adding charges for Loan B to Loan A's payoff crcmnot
crcmnot Offline
Gold Star
Thank you both!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z