Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2250142 - 03/05/21 07:02 PM Title Company Document Prep Fee
Nicole Offline
100 Club
Hello, we are working with a title company and they have a documentation prep fee, should this fee be prepaid?

thank you!

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2250143 - 03/05/21 07:17 PM Re: Title Company Document Prep Fee Nicole
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What is it for? - a fee name does not mean a thing when it comes to determining finance charges.

Return to Top
#2250165 - 03/05/21 09:12 PM Re: Title Company Document Prep Fee Nicole
Nicole Offline
100 Club
it's a fee they are charging to prepare there documents in regards to the closing, i.e warranty deeds etc.

Return to Top
#2250166 - 03/05/21 09:42 PM Re: Title Company Document Prep Fee Nicole
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, then you have to weigh that against excluding it under:

1026.4(c)(7) Real-estate related fees. The following fees in a transaction secured by real property or in a residential mortgage transaction, if the fees are bona fide and reasonable in amount:

(ii) Fees for preparing loan-related documents, such as deeds, mortgages, and reconveyance or settlement documents.

or the basic uniform charge for a cash or credit transaction:

4(a) Definition
1. Charges in comparable cash transactions. Charges imposed uniformly in cash and credit transactions are not finance charges. In determining whether an item is a finance charge, the creditor should compare the credit transaction in question with a similar cash transaction. A creditor financing the sale of property or services may compare charges with those payable in a similar cash transaction by the seller of the property or service.

Return to Top