Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2250576 - 03/15/21 06:20 PM HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Is anyone updating their AAN or appraisal transmittal letter in accordance with the Chase/HUD Agreement? https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/FH...iation%20Agreement_Redacted_Redacted.pdf

I realize this is not a requirement but I am wondering if it is a good best practice recommendation for our lines of business or if we will lose our safe harbor on the Reg B forms if we add this information.

Thoughts?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2250579 - 03/15/21 06:26 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Can you tell us your rationale for considering it? Are you currently engaging in discriminatory actions that you are trying to mitigate?

Return to Top
#2250580 - 03/15/21 06:28 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
No, but we review all enforcement actions and if there are valid take aways we consider implementing them. I was just wondering if anyone was considering adding these as I think they might be helpful to consumers who are perhaps unfamiliar with their rights, but at the same time could open up a can of worms if everyone starts complaining when their value isn't what they expected.

Mostly, just trying to get an idea if other bankers are considering adding the language and what impact that might have on safe harbor.

Return to Top
#2250584 - 03/15/21 06:57 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't see anything that would jeopardize your safe harbor by including that language. I see little value for including that language unless you 1) are really trying to mitigate some identified flaw in your fair lending process and 2) are fully prepared to deal with customers that contact you as instructed and then be willing to turn all of that over to your regulators when asked if anyone has taken you up on it. This is an individual settlement based on discovered deficiencies.

Return to Top
#2250585 - 03/15/21 06:59 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thank you! As you know, I very much value your opinion!! smile

Return to Top
#2250587 - 03/15/21 07:06 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We won't be revising the Reg. B notice since we have to provide a similar notice under state law since 2009.

Return to Top
#2250599 - 03/15/21 07:56 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Interesting, Dan. So under IN law you send a separate notice stating those things? Do you do loans in IL? If so, do you suppress the notice or just give it because it can't hurt?

Return to Top
#2250698 - 03/16/21 08:55 PM Re: HUD Agreement w Chase on Appraisal Discrimination Tesla
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We don't lend outside of the state. The notice is called the Notice to Borrower/Prospective Borrower.

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/files/UPDATED_Form_HPU-01_10-1-15_edit.pdf

Return to Top