Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2250619 - 03/16/21 01:20 PM Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice
Jenny Roberts Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
I would like to know if the majority of banks require a form to be signed by the customer if they have an error on their account, especially if it involves an unauthorized debit card transaction or unauthorized ACH.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2250623 - 03/16/21 01:42 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You cannot "require" that a customer sign a form if the error is covered under Regulation E You can request that they do, but you cannot require it.

Return to Top
#2250628 - 03/16/21 02:02 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
simplycomplying Offline
New Poster
@RLCAREY.... am I correct that if they don't sign provisional credit doesn't have to be given. We just do an investigation.

Return to Top
#2250629 - 03/16/21 02:06 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A financial institution may require the consumer to give written confirmation of an error within 10 business days of an oral notice. An institution that requires written confirmation shall inform the consumer of the requirement and provide the address where confirmation must be sent when the consumer gives the oral notification.

That can be done in any format - you cannot require it to be on a specific form.

Return to Top
#2250671 - 03/16/21 05:40 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
Jenny Roberts Offline
100 Club
Tennessee
Ok, do you know if most banks request a form be signed in this situation? I would think it would be good for record keeping purposes in case a dispute arises in timing of customer notification but didn't know if most bank actually do this or not....

Return to Top
#2250735 - 03/17/21 02:38 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
We request that they sign a form, but will accept any written document they provide. Most of them don't want to think of what to write on their own, so they are happy with the form. We provide a space for them to write any additional information about the transaction(s), but I would say only 1 out of 100 provide anything other than checking the box that states the transaction was not authorized.

Return to Top
#2250880 - 03/19/21 02:31 PM Re: Unauthorized Form/Error Resoultion Notice Jenny Roberts
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
We request all disputes be filed on our form, but as Carey said, it is not required by the customer. For record keeping, we do require our branches to fill in our form if a dispute is received by phone or if the customer brings in his/her own written dispute (if this happens, the customer's written dispute is attached to our form when submitted to Card Services). The same is true if the dispute is received by email. We also request signatures wherever possible, but don't require them - we don't even require them for provisional crediting purposes.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett