Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2251229 - 03/25/21 03:21 PM Approval Amount Increase at Closing (Non-TRID)
MrFantastic Offline
I have a question regarding the increase of an approved loan amount that is performed by the loan funder, or an individual other than underwriter. At a small community bank where I previously worked, an increase in an approved loan amount required a review and "re-approval" by an underwriter in order to close on the loan. This was required even if the loan amount increased by a penny. However, now at a much larger institution where volume is significantly higher, the individuals responsible for funding the loan are given a threshold with which they can increase an approved loan amount. (For example, an auto loan is approved by an underwriter for $25,000. When the purchase order comes in, the amount needed for the purchase is actually $25,850 (roughly a 3-4% increase).)

If the new loan amount is within their allowable threshold limit (% or dollar amount) they are allowed to essentially approve the increase without sending it back to an underwriter for "re-approval". These individuals have no lending authority granted by the credit/lending policy. The threshold granted is typically around 5% of the loan amount.

Is this a normal practice, or does anyone have any concerns with this practice? I can't seem to find any type of regulatory requirements for this, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2251237 - 03/25/21 04:24 PM Re: Approval Amount Increase at Closing (Non-TRID) MrFantastic
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Purely an internal policy decision. If your credit underwriting criteria is sufficient to allow a little wiggle room, then going back to them for a few bucks probably is not worth the effort.

Return to Top
#2251255 - 03/25/21 06:34 PM Re: Approval Amount Increase at Closing (Non-TRID) MrFantastic
MrFantastic Offline
Thanks Randy I appreciate the help.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z