Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2232636 - 03/09/20 03:09 PM Conditional Approval
Questions Offline
We have a mortgage loan on which we have given verbal conditional approval. The applicant's creditworthiness was not an issue, rather there were issues with loan closing conditions (issues with title). We have advised the applicant of those issues and he states that he is working toward resolving the issue. This loan has been in our pipeline for longer than I am comfortable. At a certain point, I believe we should consider this application as Approved Not Accepted for HMDA purposes, and deny the loan due to collateral issues for ECOA purposes. Is this correct? How long would you give the applicant to resolve these issues before taking action on the loan?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2232983 - 03/14/20 03:41 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We start with a drop dead date of 30 days out. Then we touch base with the applicant at weekly intervals. If noting is recieved, we close the file at that 30 day mark.
In your case, your credit docs are likely expiring or already expired and maybe the appraisal has too. So I would definitely close it out and tell the borrower to come back when he's got the title issue cleared up.

Return to Top
#2233037 - 03/16/20 06:22 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
We've kept the open for AGES...some end up well, some end up never closing.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2234444 - 04/08/20 06:59 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
We are trying to deal with this issue. Does anyone have a sample conditional commitment letter they could share that could be used to communicate the tentative approval, pending receipt of a clear title, etc.?

Return to Top
#2251225 - 03/25/21 02:26 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
So this situation does need an Adverse Action Notice for ECOA....even though it is not denied for underwriting reasons....and we report approved not accepted for HMDA....

I need to find out if we are supposed to be issuing AANs when we cannot close due to title issues....

Return to Top
#2251238 - 03/25/21 04:26 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
supposed to be issuing AANs when we cannot close due to title issues....

Yes - of course you do. An AAN is required under Regulation B whenever you deny a credit application.

Return to Top
#2251445 - 03/30/21 01:45 PM Re: Conditional Approval Questions
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Thanks, Randy.....we were taught that title is not a reason to approve or decline a loan....it only affects closing the loan....

I will retrain everyone on this....

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z