Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#225185 - 08/09/04 04:45 PM Risk-based Pricing & AAN
etm614 Offline
Platinum Poster
etm614
Massachusetts
We are just dipping our toe in on risk-based pricing whereby an applicant who doesn't meet our underwriting guidelines for an auto loan at our one-size fits all rate will be considered for a new program at a higher rate. All applicants who would be denied are automatically reviewed for the higher rate with no customer request or contact. If the loan is still denied, we issue the standard AAN. If the loan is approved at the higher rate, I believe that the customer should receive an AAN and counteroffer (using the C-4 model notice). Am I correct on the AAN part? Thanks.

Return to Top
#225186 - 08/09/04 09:27 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
Jack Holzknecht Offline

Gold Star
Louisville, KY
Your situation might be considered as either an approved application (he applied for a loan and got a loan) or an accepted counter-offer (he applied, didn't qualify, was countered offered and accepted). Either case may not trigger an adverse action notice. The facts dictate what actually happened. If a counteroffer is accepted, no AAN is required. Is the "new program" with your bank or with another lender? Did the customer specifically apply for the "one-size fits all rate"?

Return to Top
#225187 - 08/10/04 03:32 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
etm614 Offline
Platinum Poster
etm614
Massachusetts
These customers apply for a loan at our standard one-size-fits all rate. When they don't qualify based on credit issues (e.g. prior chargeoffs, late pays, etc.), they are told they do not qualify for that product and are then offered a loan at a higher rate. That is why I believe that they should receive the combined AAN and counteroffer notice.

Return to Top
#225188 - 08/10/04 05:45 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
Love those Regs Offline
Gold Star
Southern State
In that case, I think the AAN/Counter is needed.

Return to Top
#225189 - 08/10/04 08:48 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Double check your advertising so you do not end up with allegations of "bait & switch."

Return to Top
#225190 - 08/11/04 08:21 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
Jack Holzknecht Offline

Gold Star
Louisville, KY
Quote:

When they don't qualify based on credit issues (e.g. prior chargeoffs, late pays, etc.), they are told they do not qualify for that product and are then offered a loan at a higher rate.

If an applicant accepts a counteroffer no adverse action notice is required. The combined counteroffer/AAN is helpful when the applicant doesn't immediately accept the counteroffer. If the combined form is sent immediately, then the application does not have to be tracked to see if the applicant accepts the counteroffer or not.

Return to Top
#225191 - 08/13/04 12:56 PM Re: Risk-based Pricing & AAN
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Quote:

Quote:

When they don't qualify based on credit issues (e.g. prior chargeoffs, late pays, etc.), they are told they do not qualify for that product and are then offered a loan at a higher rate.

If an applicant accepts a counteroffer no adverse action notice is required. The combined counteroffer/AAN is helpful when the applicant doesn't immediately accept the counteroffer. If the combined form is sent immediately, then the application does not have to be tracked to see if the applicant accepts the counteroffer or not.

Pegasus, would you agree that this customer would need to be given the new Risk-based pricing notice under section 311?

Return to Top