Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2252341 - 04/14/21 01:14 PM Reg CC - Availability of Funds
Newbie06 Offline
Platinum Poster
Can some of you explain how your core systems work when it comes to holds on accounts? So, for a 2 day hold, are your systems designed to have the hold drop off after the first business day so that the funds are available on the second business day? Or do your systems keep the hold on for two full business days and then your systems drop the hold off?

Our operations department has some documentation that states to hold the item for 2 days but the regulation says funds are to be made available the 2nd business day after the day of deposit.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2252345 - 04/14/21 01:55 PM Re: Reg CC - Availability of Funds Newbie06
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
For the two day hold it counts the day of deposit and the next business day. Customers are required to have access to the funds by 9:00 am on the second business day after deposit (i.e. hold on Monday holds the funds Monday and Tuesday - customer to have access by 9:00 am on Wednesday). I've seen some systems that drop the hold off the night before during processing - and others that drop the hold in the morning. You need to find out when your system releases the funds.

Return to Top
#2252671 - 04/20/21 04:04 PM Re: Reg CC - Availability of Funds Newbie06
Newbie06 Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks Skittles for that explanation.

Return to Top
#2252690 - 04/20/21 06:11 PM Re: Reg CC - Availability of Funds Newbie06
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It is unfortunate that the industry has come to call this a "two-day hold," when it's more accurate to say a "hold until the second (business) day (after the banking day of deposit)."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2252692 - 04/20/21 06:43 PM Re: Reg CC - Availability of Funds Newbie06
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree John, but I've always felt the regulation was written backwards on this one. In practical application, core systems want to know how many business days to hold funds in order to calculate availability, so its not a surprise that the industry calls it a two-day hold rather than second day availability. I'm hopeful (but not expectant) that the next revision of Reg CC may address this in one way or another to make the rule align with practical application in the world of holds.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2252706 - 04/20/21 09:19 PM Re: Reg CC - Availability of Funds Newbie06
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I've given up hope on a "next revision" of Reg CC other than the quintennial inflation adjustment.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett