Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2252377 - 04/14/21 09:41 PM Cooler Full of Money Giveaway
2old2care Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
We have a promotion for a new branch. Stop in and register to win a cooler full of money. Anyone can enter who visits the new branch the month of opening. One entry per person. Opening an account to not part of the program for entry. Issue?

Return to Top
Marketing
#2252394 - 04/15/21 01:01 PM Re: Cooler Full of Money Giveaway 2old2care
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
These types of promotions can be fun, but can also get tricky. There are a few things to consider. First, your regulator has rules prohibiting lotteries. For example, the FDIC's version defines a lottery when three or more persons "advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced...". Based on what you provided, it doesn't appear that you have an entry fee (i.e. requirement to advance money or credit), so this doesn't appear to be a "lottery" by definition.

As this contest appears to pass that first test, you will now need to look at your state laws. It is my understanding that some states have pretty strict contest and disclosure requirements to ensure your contest is a "sweepstakes" and not a lottery, so this is where you will probably want to involve legal counsel to ensure you comply with your state laws, including the creation of your sweepstakes disclosures.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2252397 - 04/15/21 01:17 PM Re: Cooler Full of Money Giveaway Adam Witmer
2old2care Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate you taking the time.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker