Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2252360 - 04/14/21 06:20 PM GSEs - New General QM Final Rule
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Hi, since the GSEs are requiring compliance with the new General QM Final Rule (Freddie Mac Bulletin 2021-13) as of July 1, 2021 (rather than the CFPB's proposed October 2022 date), I'm digging into this Final Rule again.

Under the new Final Rule, a loan is General QM if the APR doesn't exceed the APOR by more than 2.25% as of the date the interest rate is set. Furthermore, the loan still qualifies as a Safe Harbor General QM if the APR doesn't exceed the APOR by more than 1.5% as of the date the interest rate is set.

Since this is the same analysis we currently do to determine HPML classification (a loan is HPML if the APR doesn't exceed the APOR by more than 1.5% for first-lien loans as of the date the interest rate is set), is it fair to say that any non-HPML loans would qualify under the new General QM definition assuming we also meet the "consider and verify" requirements?

Along these same lines, any loans in which the APR exceeds the APOR by more than 1.5% but less than 2.25% would be considered a HPML General QM?

I really hope the new General QM Final Rule is this simplistic to implement. Thanks for your feedback.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2252498 - 04/16/21 05:53 PM Re: GSEs - New General QM Final Rule ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Does the above sound accurate? I sat in on the ABA's Mortgage Reform Work Group meeting yesterday, which was helpful, but I still have the above questions. We are kicking off an internal work group next week, so I am trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand.

Thank you.

Return to Top
#2252505 - 04/16/21 07:06 PM Re: GSEs - New General QM Final Rule ComplyCycle
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I do not see anything wrong with any of your statements.

Return to Top
#2252546 - 04/19/21 12:13 PM Re: GSEs - New General QM Final Rule ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
That is great news - thank you for confirming.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z