Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2252882 - 04/23/21 06:02 PM Non-Customer Making Deposit into Account
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thread prompted this question:

Does your bank/credit union allow non-customers to make a deposit into an account? My current institution does; think of a renter paying their rent directly to the landlords account, or a child repaying a parent for a loan. In this case, our customer has provided their renter or child with their account number; they can simply come to the bank to make a deposit. Our receipts do not include the full account number or account balance.

But I have also know of a large financial institution that does not allow non-customers to make deposits into customer accounts. What would the reasoning be? Money laundering comes to mind, but would there be any other reason?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2252889 - 04/23/21 07:03 PM Re: Non-Customer Making Deposit into Account Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have initiated a lawsuit or I am trying to foreclose on a large property and the opposing party deposits one of their checks into my account and it totally screws the deal as it looks like I accepted a payment from them. Bank, meet my attorney.

You are not a collection agency.

#2252893 - 04/23/21 07:19 PM Re: Non-Customer Making Deposit into Account Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I know Chase and some larger FI's stopped this practice due to money laundering but I know many community banks who allow deposits. These are typically small businesses and someone from the business is dropping off a deposit.

#2252974 - 04/26/21 08:48 PM Re: Non-Customer Making Deposit into Account Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
would you allow a non-customer to take money from your customer's account? if not, then why would you allow them to put money into it?

#2252988 - 04/26/21 10:48 PM Re: Non-Customer Making Deposit into Account Anonymous
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
The Chase policy only pertains to cash deposits to consumer accounts. And yes, it was to prevent money laundering.

Many businesses send employees to make deposits. But I think the poster of the question was interested in a response regarding consumer accounts based on the examples provided. Randy provided good reasons. There are plenty of reasons why someone might do this. You could always call your customer to ask if it was ok to accept the deposit.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale