Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2253232 - 04/29/21 06:11 PM New Account Hold Form Completion
t0dd Offline
100 Club
It is my understanding that we do not need to complete an Exception Hold notice under 12 CFR 229.13(g) if we are holding funds based on the New Account exception. Our Funds Availability Disclosure is provided to the customer at account opening and is disclosed under the ("Special Rules for New Accounts" section), so the thought by the Regulators is (apparently) an additional specific hold notice is not required.

My question is, would we need to complete a hold form if said customer comes in two weeks later to make a deposit?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2253237 - 04/29/21 07:06 PM Re: New Account Hold Form Completion t0dd
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A new account hold during the first 30 days does not require a notice if you have it in your availability policy.

Return to Top
#2253458 - 05/04/21 08:24 PM Re: New Account Hold Form Completion t0dd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Those of us more seasoned compliance geeks who were around when Reg CC sputtered to life about 34 years ago remember that bankers argued while the rule was still a proposal that customers should be able to remember something they were told a month earlier.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2253462 - 05/04/21 09:07 PM Re: New Account Hold Form Completion t0dd
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"More seasoned" - ha - love it John. I am probably considered "well seasoned" at this point.

Return to Top
#2253480 - 05/05/21 01:52 PM Re: New Account Hold Form Completion t0dd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
When I was on an ABA team in 1992 reviewing the Fed's proposed Truth in Savings Act regulation (Regulation DD), I remember we used the same argument about consumers remembering the disclosures for a time deposit with a term of a year or less (or would be able to find the disclosure in their records), so that full disclosures wouldn't be required when the deposits were approaching maturity and automatic rollover.

Of course, the argument doesn't admit the fact that many (most?) consumers toss out most of banks' disclosure paperwork and don't pay attention to those disclosures when their accounts are opened.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett