Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2253478 - 05/05/21 01:25 PM OFAC SDN List search question
Megaman Offline
100 Club
When search a name in the OFAC SDN list do you search by the potential suspects first name or by there last name? Example: if you were looking for Bob Smith. Would you look under Bob or Smith?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2253486 - 05/05/21 03:36 PM Re: OFAC SDN List search question Megaman
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Why wouldn't you search using both to cut down on false alerts?

That being said, the answer really is going to depend on the parameter settings of the search model you are using. If you are not sure what these configurations are, then you should contact the vendor that programmed the tool you are using. Additionally, a good method for testing your system is to take names off the existing list and run test searches.

For example using a name from the past, try typing in "Osama" and seeing what results you get. Then type in "Bin-Laden" and compare the results to see which provides the results that you would expect.

Return to Top
#2253550 - 05/06/21 01:16 PM Re: OFAC SDN List search question BrianC
Megaman Offline
100 Club
Part of our process is conducting a manual SDN search. So I am going to the SDN List and looking for Bob Smith. I was not sure if we manually look at the SDN list via first or last name or both.

Return to Top
#2253551 - 05/06/21 01:24 PM Re: OFAC SDN List search question Megaman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Manually searching?? You have to be crazy. Why not use the OFAC search system. https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z