Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2254743 - 06/02/21 01:53 PM Reg E Claim - Customer Closed Account
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Would a charge received by a bank customer from a vendor that he previously had an account with be considered a valid Reg E claim? The customer stated he did have an account with said vendor but he closed his account and the vendor charged him again after the account was closed. Part of me says, he approved the charge by opening an account with the vendor, so it was authorized. But then, part of me says, he closed his account, which means he is no longer authorizing the charge.

We deemed it valid and gave him his money back, I'm just reviewing claims for the month and came across this one and am going back and forth in my mind as to whether it should have been considered valid or not.

Thanks!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2254747 - 06/02/21 03:21 PM Re: Reg E Claim - Customer Closed Account Bankwoman1
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I close my account with someone and they later debt my account. Sounds like it is unauthorized to me unless they still owed them money through the contractual agreement they entered into.

Return to Top
#2254749 - 06/02/21 03:34 PM Re: Reg E Claim - Customer Closed Account Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks Randy. I totally agree with you. There was so little information provided regarding any investigation on our part and I think that is part of my problem. I have no idea if we even talked to the merchant or if they would even talk to us. I think that is why I questioned it to begin with. But I do totally agree with you!

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z