Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2254816 - 06/03/21 08:27 PM Trusts doing business as
Craney Offline
Good afternoon, I know there is a lot of stuff going on about trusts, but I have a situation in which I'm not entirely sure and wanted to get some opinions on. I have a family living trust doing business as a company with it all being under the trustee's SSN. I'm wanting to make sure that the way we have it labeled and handle it, is correct. As it is labeled now, John Doe The John Doe Family Living Trust dba John Doe Plumbing all under John Doe's SSN. John and Jane Doe are listed as Trustees. Is that correct and going forward with CTRs and other reporting requirements, don't we treat this as any other sole prop?

Thanks for the help with this!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2254817 - 06/03/21 08:59 PM Re: Trusts doing business as Craney
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am a little confused by this: John Doe The John Doe Family Living Trust dba John Doe Plumbing

Why is John Doe even listed as an individual?

Return to Top
#2254821 - 06/03/21 09:15 PM Re: Trusts doing business as Craney
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I imagine it's to make sure of the IRS name/number match (if the name is in the name of the trust, it's not needed separately).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2254841 - 06/04/21 12:57 PM Re: Trusts doing business as Craney
Craney Offline
My apologies, it's actually labeled "John Doe The Doe Family Trust dba John Doe Plumbling". I'm not sure if that matters or not, but trusts have always confused me. Thank you for your help again!

Return to Top
#2254856 - 06/04/21 04:19 PM Re: Trusts doing business as Craney
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The point that I was trying to make is that the the John Doe lead in should not be there. It is either the trust's account or it is not - if it is, then it would only show the trust's name dba business name.

Return to Top
#2254892 - 06/04/21 09:05 PM Re: Trusts doing business as Craney
Craney Offline
Gotcha!! Thank you!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z