Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2254954 - 06/07/21 07:01 PM HPML HELP
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a vacant lot loan in which Dad's primary residence was used for additional collateral. Can this be an HPML loan due to the additional collateral being a primary residence? If so, what are the escrow requirements?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2254955 - 06/07/21 07:10 PM Re: HPML HELP Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If it is a first lien, HPML rules will apply. There is no such thing as additional collateral in Regulation Z.

#2254959 - 06/07/21 07:20 PM Re: HPML HELP Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
§ 1026.35(a)(1):
"Higher-priced mortgage loan" means a closed-end consumer credit transaction secured by the consumer's principal dwelling with an annual percentage rate that exceeds the average prime offer rate for a comparable transaction as of the date the interest rate is set:

(i) By 1.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a first lien with a principal obligation at consummation that does not exceed the limit in effect as of the date the transaction's interest rate is set for the maximum principal obligation eligible for purchase by Freddie Mac;

(ii) By 2.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a first lien with a principal obligation at consummation that exceeds the limit in effect as of the date the transaction's interest rate is set for the maximum principal obligation eligible for purchase by Freddie Mac; or

(iii) By 3.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a subordinate lien.

There is no further qualification concerning an exemption for the dwelling taken as "additional" security, unless you're taking a junior lien on that principal dwelling. I'd say you have an escrow requirement if the loan meets the criteria for an HPML.

That escrow would be for payment of property taxes and for premiums for hazard or property ownership insurance on Dad's home -- if the bank requires such insurance coverage.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2254970 - 06/07/21 08:02 PM Re: HPML HELP Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

What if dad was a signer on the loan?

#2254973 - 06/07/21 08:33 PM Re: HPML HELP Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am not sure I understand your follow-up question. If the son or daughter is not creditworthy enough to buy a vacant lot, what bank in their right mind would allow a parent to pledge and risk their primary residence as additional collateral, unless the bank is interested in making the local news when it comes down to foreclosure time. .

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale