Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2254956 - 06/07/21 07:17 PM Criminal Subpoena - addressed to previous customer
J_G Offline
Gold Star
We received a criminal subpoena in the mail but it is addressed to one of our previous customers who no longer has an account. The court case is against the state and another person (different from who it is addressed to, though we know they worked together in the past) who is also a previous customer. The notice of subpoena itself does not really address the bank. Any idea what we are supposed to do in a situation like this? We have never received a criminal subpoena that is addressed to a customer, especially someone that is no longer a customer.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2254962 - 06/07/21 07:28 PM Re: Criminal Subpoena - addressed to previous customer J_G
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Start by contacting the issuer of the subpoena, asking why it was delivered to the bank. If they say you're supposed to act on the subpoena, contact your own bank counsel before proceeding.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2254963 - 06/07/21 07:28 PM Re: Criminal Subpoena - addressed to previous customer J_G
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Call whoever sent the subpoena and tell them, unless you legal counsel has other suggestions, who this question should really be directed to.

Or what John said smile
Last edited by rlcarey; 06/07/21 07:31 PM.

Return to Top
#2254981 - 06/08/21 12:18 AM Re: Criminal Subpoena - addressed to previous customer J_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Actually is it addressed to the customer or is it for bank records for the customer.. It appears that there may be some discrepancy in the subpoena itself. Your course of action would depend o what is in the subpoena,

I would contact your legal department first. You are not a skip tracer for some law firm that decided to get you involved in some issue that has no upside (or legal requirement) for the bank.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2254984 - 06/08/21 01:02 PM Re: Criminal Subpoena - addressed to previous customer J_G
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
After pondering this scenario a bit, I have changed my mind. Start with your own legal department or outside counsel. If they feel contact with the issuer of the subpoena is warranted, decide whether that will be something you do or legal counsel does for you.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z