Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2256916 - 07/19/21 10:12 PM Customer ok with forged endorsement- SAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, I could use some opinions.

We have a married couple going through a contentious divorce. One party attempted to deposit an item into an account at our bank, and we believe they forged the endorsement of their spouse. The spouse saw the transaction, didn’t recognize it and inquired with us about it. Later, the spouse returned and said they did in fact remember the transaction. The couple is now working together to return the deposit to the institution where it originated.

All of this seems like a civil matter with the exception of the forged endorsement. Does the fact that the spouse seems to have waived it off make any difference?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2256929 - 07/20/21 11:29 AM Re: Customer ok with forged endorsement- SAR? Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What law was broken?

#2256941 - 07/20/21 02:49 PM Re: Customer ok with forged endorsement- SAR? Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
they "attempted to deposit it"? meaning it was not deposited? i don't understand the "working together to return to the institution where originated" comment.

#2256966 - 07/20/21 05:33 PM Re: Customer ok with forged endorsement- SAR? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

rlcarey - that sounds like a rhetorical question, but the predicate crime is forgery. That’s the crux of my question; we suspect forgery but the person whose signature is forged denied it. Knowing this SAR would be useless to everyone, does our suspicion of forgery warrant filing.

HappyGilmore - sorry, the check was deposited, not attempted. The rest that you’re unclear about was badly explained by me, but probably not relevant.

Thanks for the responses.

#2256967 - 07/20/21 05:36 PM Re: Customer ok with forged endorsement- SAR? Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You may suspect, but if the alleged victim denies it - where does that leave you. Move on.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale