Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2257073 - 07/22/21 06:43 PM CIP for Purchased Loans
DingoJ Offline
If our bank purchases loans and takes on the servicing of those loans, CIP says that those are now customers of the bank because they have a new banking relationship with us, and so CIP is required.

I also feel like the requirements of 103.121(b)(6) which speaks to reliance on another FI for CIP may not apply 100% in a purchased loan situation. My main concern with the “reliance” section is that it seems to be written with the assumption of a continued relationship between the two banks, which is not the case here.

Am I correct that CIP is required for loans the bank might purchase and service, and how would you recommend meeting the requirements of CIP for those customers? I must be overthinking the situation because I know others must have come across this scenario (couldn’t find any posts by searching though).

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2257076 - 07/22/21 06:52 PM Re: CIP for Purchased Loans DingoJ
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
1020.100(a) Account. For purposes of §1020.220:

(2) Account does not include:

(ii) An account that the bank acquires through an acquisition, merger, purchase of assets, or assumption of liabilities; or

Return to Top
#2257077 - 07/22/21 06:54 PM Re: CIP for Purchased Loans DingoJ
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
If our bank purchases loans and takes on the servicing of those loans, CIP says that those are now customers of the bank because they have a new banking relationship with us, and so CIP is required.

CIP doesn't say this.

§1020.100(a)(2) (ii)
Account does not include:
(ii) An account that the bank acquires through an acquisition, merger, purchase of assets, or assumption of liabilities;

Return to Top
#2257082 - 07/22/21 08:07 PM Re: CIP for Purchased Loans DingoJ
DingoJ Offline
Wow - thanks guys. Not sure how I missed that!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z