Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2256604 - 07/13/21 03:02 PM Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a bank teller makes a deposit into an incorrect account- and that customer spends the money, are we within our rights to debit that person even if it causes an overdraft? We already fixed the other customers account. Thank You!

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2256607 - 07/13/21 03:20 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Of course you are.

#2257098 - 07/23/21 01:04 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

And you are within your right to close the customers account where the deposit was accidentally credited.

#2257099 - 07/23/21 01:10 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Article Here

I saw this article recently about a couple spending $120,000 deposited into their account in error. Thought you might find it of interest.

#2257102 - 07/23/21 01:52 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida

#2257222 - 07/26/21 08:11 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
"Finders, Keepers" is a myth.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#2257249 - 07/27/21 04:42 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Rocky P
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by Rocky P
this one is in my neck of the woods. and would you believe the number of people that have rallied behind her demanding she not be prosecuted? a go fund me was also opened, but subsequently closed when they found out it was opened to help her pay back what she already spent...sheesh

#2257748 - 08/05/21 07:38 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account John Burnett
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by John Burnett

Of course it is the RIGHT thing to do, but.....

Is there verbiage when you open a new account in relation to an incident like this? I've looked through ours (albeit briefly) and can't seem to find anything.....

#2257750 - 08/05/21 07:56 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It does not have to be - it is called unjust enrichment in legal terms. You cannot keep anything that you have no right to.

#2257753 - 08/05/21 08:07 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Not to put too fine a point on it, but... to put a razor fine point on it, did you browse either of the articles? There's potentially a whole lot of trouble waiting. So unless that's what you're looking for, not only is it the right thing to do, it's really the only thing to do.

#2257757 - 08/05/21 08:19 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by John Burnett

Of course it is the RIGHT thing to do, but.....

Is there verbiage when you open a new account in relation to an incident like this? I've looked through ours (albeit briefly) and can't seem to find anything.....
then i would suggest a conversation with your bank's legal counsel concerning wording that should be included.

we have language in ours concerning "bank errors" and our ability to reverse errors from accounts

#2257787 - 08/06/21 04:15 PM Re: Bank Error- Deposit to incorrect account HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just Google "bank deposit error" and you will see the myriads of articles outlining the consequences when people thought it was their money to spend!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale