Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2257187 - 07/26/21 11:14 AM FFIEC 2021 Demographics
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
I promised I would post something about the 2021 demographics published by the FFIEC only about 2 weeks ago. We've reviewed the census tract income classifications and, as we expected, no tracts changed their income class from 2020. Next year will be the year with big changes when the 2020 Census results will impact demographics big time.

Return to Top
CRA
#2257237 - 07/27/21 02:01 PM Re: FFIEC 2021 Demographics Len S
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
So just to make sure I understand, whatever income level the CT currently is (2020) will remain so for 2021?

I have been checking the FFIEC website almost daily to see when the 2021 demographics will be updated because it is important to know where our low- and moderate-income CTs are. We have some CTs that are borderline (like one that is only 8 basis points away from moderate-income) so we do watch those closely.

Also, I noticed from the map that we appear to have some new CTs in one area. How do I determine the income level for the new CTs?

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2257284 - 07/27/21 09:06 PM Re: FFIEC 2021 Demographics Len S
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
In the next week we plan to publish another map depicting all census tracts and their income class based on the 2021 demographics. I will post on BOL when that is available.

Oh and yes, there are no changes in tract income class from 2020 to 2021. Next year is when the big changes will happen if the FFIEC implements the 2020 Census file

Return to Top
#2257304 - 07/28/21 02:33 PM Re: FFIEC 2021 Demographics Len S
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I think I am still missing something. . . .

So I have looked at the maps put out by the US Department of Commerce/US Census Bureau based on the 2020 census. In one of our assessment areas, where there were 3 CTs the new map shows 5 CTs because they apparently split two of the CTs into two (no surprise based on population in those 2 CTs). But the FFIEC geocoder is still only showing 3 CTs. So even though the Census Bureau has published the new maps, they won't be 'official' until FFIEC approves them next year?

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2257313 - 07/28/21 04:35 PM Re: FFIEC 2021 Demographics Len S
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
ou got that right. The FFIEC typically implements the latest Census 2 years after the fact. As I recall they implemented the 2010 census for the FFIEC 2012 demographics. When the decennial census takes place it can alter any census tract not only in terms of demographics but in terms of the boundaries and name of the tract. It's not unusual for many tracts to have different boundaries and names after the decennial census. Back in 2012 I believe about one-third of all census tracts had material changes.

So don't waste your time on the Census website with the new Census 2020 tracts because it won't match the 2021 FFIEC demographics!

GeoDataVision is just about to publish a public map on the Internet that will show any tract in the country and its income class as defined by the FFIEC for 2021. I will post on BOL when the map is ready for public viewing. We are tweaking it right now.
Last edited by Len S; 07/28/21 04:37 PM.

Return to Top
#2257330 - 07/28/21 07:44 PM Re: FFIEC 2021 Demographics Len S
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
GeoDataVision just posted a free national 2021 FFIEC Census Tract Income Class map that can be found here: GeoDataVision 2021 FFIEC National Census Tract Income Class Map

Return to Top