Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2257392 - 07/29/21 07:00 PM Employee Files Bankruptcy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bank employee files for bankruptcy and now has a charged off loan. Do I have any legal options to hold him accountable? All the other employees have to pay their loans! He gets to continue to work and not pay his loan with his own employer?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2257395 - 07/29/21 07:03 PM Re: Employee Files Bankruptcy Anonymous
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Contact your legal counsel for their opinion.

#2257404 - 07/29/21 07:46 PM Re: Employee Files Bankruptcy Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Be very careful about retaliatory actions against someone that has filed bankruptcy - you could get into a world of hurt.

#2257409 - 07/29/21 08:15 PM Re: Employee Files Bankruptcy Anonymous
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Here's why you should heed what Randy & DQ said (excerpt from the Bankruptcy Code, 11 USC 525):

(b)No private employer may terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, an individual who is or has been a debtor under this title, a debtor or bankrupt under the Bankruptcy Act, or an individual associated with such debtor or bankrupt, solely because such debtor or bankrupt—
. . .
(3)has not paid a debt that is dischargeable in a case under this title or that was discharged under the Bankruptcy Act.

#2257442 - 07/30/21 03:36 PM Re: Employee Files Bankruptcy Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
"He gets to continue to work and not pay his loan with his own employer?"

Yes. You have the cite above. Now, show of hands, who thinks bankruptcy is a Constitutional Right?

Well, look at Article 1, Section 8. We follow a lot of regs that protect consumers. And there are a lot protecting employees as well.

The reality is while bankruptcy filings may be available to the public, it does the bank no good to discuss an employee's finances with anyone in the bank who has no need to know. And the bank needs to be very cautious about any intimation that the employee should repay a discharged debt.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

#2257523 - 08/02/21 06:21 PM Re: Employee Files Bankruptcy Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like an HR nightmare; employees potentially telling other employees about a coworkers financial situation.

Also, after the almost two years we have been through, is it all that uncommon for someone to file bankruptcy? Covid? Divorce? Death? How about some compassion instead of finger pointing. I'm sure the employee already feels bad enough.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale