BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2257969 - 08/10/21 04:55 PM Football is back - finally
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Yes, the long awaited return of football is here starting Friday with the Bundesliga, followed saturday by the EPL, La Liga starts the next week, and throw in (haha, get the pun) Serie A and Ligue 1, and it is football heaven. about time that real sports were back on TV.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2257992 - 08/10/21 06:54 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I feel like you are speaking a foreign language... wink

Return to Top
#2258005 - 08/10/21 07:51 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
In my world, football begins on September 4 at 7:30 p.m.

Return to Top
#2258010 - 08/10/21 08:15 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
My team doesn't play their first game until 11:00 a.m. on September 4th.....but i can at least watch some other teams on 8-28, which at this point, i'll take.

Return to Top
#2258012 - 08/10/21 08:25 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by raitchjay
My team doesn't play their first game until 11:00 a.m. on September 4th.....but i can at least watch some other teams on 8-28, which at this point, i'll take.

I hear ya! I always look forward to football season.

Return to Top
#2258013 - 08/10/21 08:34 PM Re: Football is back - finally InFairness, CRCM
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM

I hear ya! I always look forward to football season.

College football season is probably my favorite time of the year. I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).

Return to Top
#2258021 - 08/10/21 09:48 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
College football season is probably my favorite time of the year. I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).

I agree. Or maybe it's just that my local pro team is the Atlanta Falcons, who are great at getting everyone excited, then crashing.

Return to Top
#2258060 - 08/11/21 04:53 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).
while i do enjoy my local Bayou Bengals college team, i agree that pro American football has really moved down a path that doesn't hold my interest. probably a combination of some of the stances the league has taken, inconsistency on fines/punishment for issues on field and off, too many inconsistent calls, the posturing by players after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...yeah, better things to do. think i watched 2 games last season. haven't attended in person in 10-11 years.

but, how we migrated of real football to this version is concerning...stay on topic, people! grin

Return to Top
#2258061 - 08/11/21 04:58 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Happy....i have a "football" question for you (well, 2 questions actually):

First, when's the next World Cup?

Second, which is a bigger deal to "football" loving countries...winning the World Cup (my assumption) or the Olympic gold medal?

Return to Top
#2258071 - 08/11/21 06:00 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...

I cannot even tell you how often I turn the sound off when watching sports on TV.

Return to Top
#2258072 - 08/11/21 06:02 PM Re: Football is back - finally InFairness, CRCM
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...

I cannot even tell you how often I turn the sound off when watching sports on TV.

I used to get up early to watch College GameDay....now, since it's just a propaganda-fest, i just wait for the games to start.

Return to Top
#2258076 - 08/11/21 06:34 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I have mixed feelings about the upcoming season. I used to look forward to it eagerly, but the last few seasons I have watched fewer and fewer games. Last year I don't think I watched an entire pro game from start to finish, not even the Super Bowl. I watched a few college games, but even those don't hold my interest like they used to. Happy pretty much nailed it. I'll add in the whining about their millions not being enough of a payday...hard for me to even pretend to sympathize with that.

Return to Top
#2258078 - 08/11/21 06:42 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I guess on the money issue.....i'd understand IF we were talking about them trying to milk a few million more dollars out of an orphanage or something.......but since we're talking about trying to collect what the market will bear from a bunch of wealthy owners who are raking in a lot of revenue from the sport....it really doesn't bother me. Where something brings in billions of dollars, of course the people who are actually producing the product are going to ask for what they view as their fair share of it. Pretty sure the owners aren't going to bankrupt themselves paying for the players' salaries. I get it that it's hard for us to relate....but i feel pretty confident that if the compliance industry suddenly metamorphasized into something where it became obvious to us that we could demand and receive $5 million a year....i'm pretty sure most compliance professionals wouldn't say "no, $75,000 is enough for me". Honestly.....i don't hear them "whining" about their pay...i just hear news about them signing huge contracts.

Return to Top
#2258080 - 08/11/21 07:10 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Can't remember which TE, but it was all over ESPN for a few days. His ??? $7 million ??? wasn't enough. Big difference between saying $75k is enough compared to $5 million and saying I'm under paid at $7 million compared to 10. If he's only making 75k, then sure - I support all the way. When you tell me 7 million isn't enough, nah.

Return to Top
#2258081 - 08/11/21 07:14 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Greg Olson - had to look it up. lol

Return to Top
#2258082 - 08/11/21 07:15 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
like all businesses the owners have the burden of risk. Should they be on equal footings with some one who does not have the risk?

just an example

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pandemic-billion-revenue-loss/

CAMS

Return to Top
#2258083 - 08/11/21 07:21 PM Re: Football is back - finally burkemi
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by burkemi
Can't remember which TE, but it was all over ESPN for a few days. His ??? $7 million ??? wasn't enough. Big difference between saying $75k is enough compared to $5 million and saying I'm under paid at $7 million compared to 10. If he's only making 75k, then sure - I support all the way. When you tell me 7 million isn't enough, nah.

Everything's relative. If you knew a dumb*** compliance professional who was making $150k for your bank, and you were making half that.......the $75,000 you were happy with yesterday, you suddenly aren't....at least, most people wouldn't be. I mean again.....the numbers make it harder because EVERY last professional athlete, bench-warmer on up, is making exponentially more money than us.....so yeah, i get it that it's a little hard to hear that $7 million isn't enough.....just know that for someone flipping burgers, they think the same thing if we say that $50,000, $60,000, $70,000, $80,000, $120,000, whatever the number is...."isn't enough".

Return to Top
#2258084 - 08/11/21 07:23 PM Re: Football is back - finally edAudit
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by edAudit
like all businesses the owners have the burden of risk. Should they be on equal footings with some one who does not have the risk?

just an example

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pandemic-billion-revenue-loss/

I never said they need to be on equal footing......basically what i said is....this is capitalism at work. If you consider yourself a capitalist, there's really nothing to see here.

Return to Top
#2258085 - 08/11/21 07:25 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Return to Top
#2258087 - 08/11/21 07:31 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Burkemi.....that's cool. We can both agree that Kentucky needs to beat Florida this year. smile

Return to Top
#2258089 - 08/11/21 07:38 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
lol. They've met their quota for the next 25 years. Gonna be a while!!!!

Return to Top
#2258149 - 08/12/21 04:52 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
they think the same thing if we say that $50,000, $60,000, $70,000, $80,000, $120,000, whatever the number is...."isn't enough".

no matter what i am making, it will never be enough. the only difference is that ESPN won't interview me, the rotten bas*****.

i make a nice salary, but will never turn down more...lol

Return to Top
#2258150 - 08/12/21 04:55 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Happy....i have a "football" question for you (well, 2 questions actually):

First, when's the next World Cup?

Second, which is a bigger deal to "football" loving countries...winning the World Cup (my assumption) or the Olympic gold medal?
world cup qualify is well underway, the "finals" - the actual month long tournament that most people think is the WC - takes place in 2022 in Qatar.

Winning the WC is far superior than winning the olympics. for the men's olympics game, the olympics has an age rule that all but 3 players must be under the age of 23. there are no age limits for the women.

Return to Top
#2258151 - 08/12/21 04:58 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I figured as much (World Cup vs. Olympics)......that under 23 rule sounds really goofy....can't imagine the rationale behind it.

Return to Top
#2258154 - 08/12/21 05:47 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I would guess it's an old holdover rule when professional athletes weren't permitted to compete in the Olympics.100% guesswork on my part though.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2