BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2258156 - 08/12/21 06:00 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I thought about that, but since we're full-blown professional in other events, that doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, lots of things don't make sense....that might be it.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2258178 - 08/12/21 10:01 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
With the NCAA rules changing, there will be many players who want to get paid in one way or another. I hope this new rule doesn't lead college ball down the path of pro ball. Anytime someone else is making more than you, you aren't paid enough in pro sports.

All that said, walking into a college stadium on a crisp fall day can be magical.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2258201 - 08/13/21 02:40 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by raitchjay
I figured as much (World Cup vs. Olympics)......that under 23 rule sounds really goofy....can't imagine the rationale behind it.
it is a requirement in place since 1992. there was concern that by allowing the entire national team to play with no age restriction, it would either compete with or lessen the impact of World Cup, so this was the compromise for the men's game.

Return to Top
#2258202 - 08/13/21 02:43 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
I figured as much (World Cup vs. Olympics)......that under 23 rule sounds really goofy....can't imagine the rationale behind it.
it is a requirement in place since 1992. there was concern that by allowing the entire national team to play with no age restriction, it would either compete with or lessen the impact of World Cup, so this was the compromise for the men's game.

Ahhh...that makes sense.

Return to Top
#2258218 - 08/13/21 03:46 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2260682 - 10/05/21 02:20 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Burkemi.....that's cool. We can both agree that Kentucky needs to beat Florida this year. smile

Meant to bring this up yesterday..... Did you see the game!?!?! Or at least the final score? Never would have thought it. lol

Return to Top
#2260694 - 10/05/21 03:43 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I did see it .....and loved it. I'm actually a Kentucky (football) fan because of Mark Stoops.....and i enjoy seeing any SEC blueblood getting beat.

Return to Top
#2260695 - 10/05/21 03:44 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Of course, 3-2 Florida dropped what.....5 spots? Only 2 loss team in the top 25? Kinda ridiculous.

Return to Top
#2260719 - 10/05/21 07:03 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Jay - you know in the world of college football that SEC is the upper crust, and all other conferences can only dream of the stature that the SEC possesses. just be happy they even allow non-SEC teams to even be in the top 10. grin

Return to Top
#2260722 - 10/05/21 07:20 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Haha....yes, i realize all of that (that's ESPN's story anyway, and they're sticking to it). Of course, since OU (and Texas) will soon be joining the SEC, i'm having split personality moments now about the SEC.

Return to Top
#2260730 - 10/05/21 07:51 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Of course, 3-2 Florida dropped what.....5 spots? Only 2 loss team in the top 25? Kinda ridiculous.

Depends on the poll, I guess - but the AP Poll place KY at 16, FL at 20. (Florida the only 2 loss team).
Coach's poll - KY 14, Florida 18, Clemson 21 (Clemson is also 3-2).

But is Florida's ranking as a 2-loss team really so outlandish? They lost a close game to the Tide and another close game to KY. Assuming KY isn't simply over-rated, that's 2 losses to top 25 schools, and both losses were close. But, the real question is will they still be ranked after they get demolished by Georgia? At least for the time being, Georgia might be ranked #2, but they're the real kings of college football right now.

Return to Top
#2260731 - 10/05/21 08:00 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
It's just one of those things....Kentucky really hadn't looked that good prior (you'd know better than me, but it seems like they struggled with a couple of pretty weak teams).....but suddenly when Florida loses to them (unranked as they were) it becomes a "quality loss" and Kentucky goes from nowhere to #16. Those kinda moves just aren't possible for other conferences when it comes to the AP poll. Personally, i don't understand why Florida is ranked and Baylor is not. But, i'm used to this sort of thing.

Return to Top
#2260734 - 10/05/21 08:00 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
And i do agree that Georgia (at this point) looks like the best team in college football right now.

Return to Top
#2260736 - 10/05/21 08:17 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
The only game I would call an unnecessary struggle was against Chattanooga. Close game that probably shouldn't have been (28-23). Won pretty easily in the opener, close games against Mizzou and SC. Florida did surprise me, but the D really came to play. I'm very curious to see what they can do against LSU. The people who know things currently give KY the edge 28-24. I sure hope so!

I can agree with the jump in ranking being more than I expected - I was looking for a 21 - 25 spot. But, nine schools in the top 25 lost, so I'm sure that had an impact. And the coach's poll was more generous to both KY and FL than the AP.

Return to Top
#2260742 - 10/05/21 08:39 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I could have lived with Florida at 25.....18 seems outlandish to me. Mizzou and SC don't look very good this year do they? I know Mizzou got drove by Tennesee and i don't know who SC has beaten.

But i'm not trying to downplay Kentucky...like i said, i'm a bit of a fan...and i'm hoping they can give Georgia a game.

Return to Top
#2260743 - 10/05/21 08:41 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Iowa State has a similar resume as Florida (close loss to a team in the top 5, another loss to a team that was once ranked...and should still be ranked..Baylor). Where's Iowa State ranked? Nowhere.

Return to Top
#2260753 - 10/05/21 10:00 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Haha....yes, i realize all of that (that's ESPN's story anyway, and they're sticking to it). Of course, since OU (and Texas) will soon be joining the SEC, i'm having split personality moments now about the SEC.

I hear Texas is reconsidering after their beat down by Arkansas.

Return to Top
#2260780 - 10/06/21 01:21 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Oh...KY will give the Dawgs a game, alright. But I'm pretty certain the game they give will be ugly.

An I really don't understand how or why Oklahoma and Texas are moving the SEC. Maybe part of the reason the SEC has as many top 25s as they do, is because half the country is in the SEC?

Return to Top
#2260781 - 10/06/21 01:24 PM Re: Football is back - finally burkemi
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by burkemi
Oh...KY will give the Dawgs a game, alright. But I'm pretty certain the game they give will be ugly.

An I really don't understand how or why Oklahoma and Texas are moving the SEC. Maybe part of the reason the SEC has as many top 25s as they do, is because half the country is in the SEC?

I'm looking forward to this one. Huge Dawg fan, but it's nice to see Kentucky competitive in something other than basketball.

Return to Top
#2260787 - 10/06/21 01:53 PM Re: Football is back - finally InFairness, CRCM
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM

I hear Texas is reconsidering after their beat down by Arkansas.

I have zero idea why Texas began the season with Card as their starting QB......saw Kasey Thompson in the bowl game last year and was immediately scared of him. I'm an OU guy, so if Texas wants to do stupid stuff, awesome....but that was really stupid.

Return to Top
#2260792 - 10/06/21 02:33 PM Re: Football is back - finally InFairness, CRCM
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM
Originally Posted by burkemi

I'm looking forward to this one. Huge Dawg fan, but it's nice to see Kentucky competitive in something other than basketball.

Kentucky has been doing pretty well under Stoops, but Georgia is a class above. I'm certainly hoping to see KY present a challenge, but my hopes aren't real high. But I definitely agree - nice to see them competing in something besides basketball.

Return to Top
#2260799 - 10/06/21 02:58 PM Re: Football is back - finally HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'd like Kentucky's chances to be competitive a lot better if Georgia was coming to Lexington. Tough row to hoe i'm afraid going to Athens.

Return to Top
#2260803 - 10/06/21 03:10 PM Re: Football is back - finally raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
The environment in Athens is definitely a competitive advantage for Georgia.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2