Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2258489 - 08/20/21 05:39 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You're jealous that we're all older than you are?

Return to Top
#2258491 - 08/20/21 05:59 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
laugh @ Skittles...

We put in our time, grasshopper... wink

Return to Top
#2258493 - 08/20/21 06:04 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
SmallBankBSA Online
100 Club
Skittles and DeeQ - Well if you put it that way I guess not lol!
Why can't retirement age be younger?!

Return to Top
#2258495 - 08/20/21 06:12 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
grin

Return to Top
#2258498 - 08/20/21 06:27 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Among other things, Covid has taught me to appreciate the distraction and mind stimulation of working. I'm full retirement age+ and have a vague retirement date out there in the future. But being home with my retired husband has shown me that I'd be bored to tears without the problem solving and feeling of being needed and appreciated that my job gives me. Granted, I work 3/4 time so I've time for the things I want to do every day.
Just putting this out there that for all the ones that can't wait to retire.
There are those of us that definitely can wait.

Return to Top
#2258499 - 08/20/21 06:38 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I still have quite a few years until retirement...and I'm ok with that (yes, I'm tired too).

I'd just be happy to be able to work from home. We have never been given that chance.....and I think I would enjoy it!!

Return to Top
#2258500 - 08/20/21 06:43 PM Re: can't do anything right Bankwoman1
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by Bankwoman1
I still have quite a few years until retirement...and I'm ok with that (yes, I'm tired too).

I'd just be happy to be able to work from home. We have never been given that chance.....and I think I would enjoy it!!

I think i'd enjoy a mixed schedule....say 3 days a week at the office, 2 days a week working from home.

Return to Top
#2258503 - 08/20/21 06:54 PM Re: can't do anything right raitchjay
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I would be alright with a schedule like that also. It is nice to see my co-workers, however, I would be perfectly ok at home also a few days a week! smile

Return to Top
#2258505 - 08/20/21 07:27 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i think everyone is tired, burned out, overworked, under appreciated, etc etc. if you have remained in the office, you think the people at home aren't carrying their load. if you are working at home, you work much more than 8 hours and don't know how to step away, and you think the people in the office are loafing. add to this that many banks have reduced expenses via early retirement incentives, reduction in force, not filling open positions, meaning less people doing more work. and loss of institutional knowledge as people leave makes it even harder. oh, and across the board, everyone has poor morale these days.

There are days i feel i have accomplished nothing but eating lunch and going home while the sun is still up.

tomorrow is always another day

Return to Top
#2258517 - 08/20/21 10:57 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
You nailed it Happy.

Last banking job (before consulting) was with a denovo. When being interviewed, the CFO asked if I would mind working half days.
I replied that I could probably handle that.
He commented that I could pick any 12 hour stretch I wanted. 2 years later, he wasn’t kidding.

Return to Top
#2258521 - 08/21/21 06:18 PM Re: can't do anything right HappyGilmore
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
There are days i feel i have accomplished nothing but eating lunch and going home while the sun is still up.

tomorrow is always another day

You get lunch? I'm clearly doing something wrong.

In all seriousness, you are spot on. Most banks are seriously understaffed. The compressed interest margins have lead to cost-cutting, staffing reductions, etc. Those left at work are drowning.

Return to Top
#2258545 - 08/23/21 04:49 PM Re: can't do anything right InFairness, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM
You get lunch? I'm clearly doing something wrong.

i block out one hour on my calendar each day for lunch, and i don't let anyone schedule over it, not open to negotiation. granted, i usually just close my door to eat, and sometimes i read, sometimes i choose to catch up on email and paperwork, but that is my choice, and i am getting my hour of peace and quiet.

when people say "but you can't take the meeting, in know you have lunch scheduled?" i always respond with "everyone is free at 7:00 AM tomorrow, let's do it then." No one has yet to take me up on 7:00 AM meetings...

Return to Top
#2258550 - 08/23/21 06:49 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
On the subject of being tired.....i feel like i have 2 fulltime jobs.....banking, and cutting grass (let's just say i mow a LARGE area, and with the bountiful rain we've had this year, it's been once a week like clockwork). With the brush gathering and weed-eating and mowing involved, it either takes most of a Saturday or Sunday, or at least 2 nights after work (now that the days are getting shorter, 2 is getting more and more difficult).....i'm ready for November.

Return to Top
#2258554 - 08/23/21 07:25 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i feel your pain RJ - i cut down all my trees last year, now my yard gets full sun, and like a dope i also water and fertilize, on top of hte tons of rain we have had as well...there have been times i've had to cut twice in a week as it is growing so fast and thick. i'm fortunate that i enjoy the mindless task of cutting grass.

Return to Top
#2258555 - 08/23/21 07:27 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Happy....i COULD mow every 4-5 days (esp. in May and June) if i wanted...but i refuse to mow it that often. smile

Return to Top
#2258568 - 08/23/21 09:29 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Congratulations Skittles! Enjoy!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2258575 - 08/24/21 12:47 PM Re: can't do anything right Skittles
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted by Skittles
I am older .... I turned 60 a few months ago.

I made the decision to retire early after months of contemplation. My husband is 9 years older than I am and I want to retire and hopefully do some things before we're both too old. While I initially stated September 30th, that may get pushed out a bit to make the transition a little easier - and hopefully a new Chief Compliance Officer can be hired.

Time will tell.

Congrats Skittles!! I too will be 60 this year and retirement is right around the corner, I can't wait.

Return to Top
#2258722 - 08/25/21 08:27 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
OldeTymeBanker Offline
I will soon be 63, my husband 64. We took the step of meeting with a financial advisor to review our various retirement accounts, etc. Last night we met with an insurance guy who went over the Medicare options, Cobra, etc. We initially thought 4/30/22, but now that we have started down this road I find my patience is shorter. We have a major system conversion coming up next year. I have done so many of these in my career, mainly due to acquisitions and mergers, and I just don't know that I have it in me to do another. What I once viewed as being a strength, adaptability, is going further and further down the drain.

Return to Top
#2258790 - 08/26/21 04:48 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If there's any one thing I would suggest to those of you with 10-20 years left till retirement it's FIND A FINANCIAL ADVISOR NOW! Don't wait till you're 60 to decide it's time. If your bank offers meetings with the entity that administers your 401K, make one. Talk to them honestly about what you'd like to be able to do in retirement and when you'd like to retire. Take full advantage of any matching your employer may do too. You've got the time to make it happen.

Return to Top
#2258801 - 08/26/21 07:09 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
You mean Doge coin isn't a solid retirement strategy?? shocked

Return to Top
#2258859 - 08/27/21 03:58 PM Re: can't do anything right Truffle Royale
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Originally Posted by Truffle Royale
If there's any one thing I would suggest to those of you with 10-20 years left till retirement it's FIND A FINANCIAL ADVISOR NOW! Don't wait till you're 60 to decide it's time. If your bank offers meetings with the entity that administers your 401K, make one. Talk to them honestly about what you'd like to be able to do in retirement and when you'd like to retire. Take full advantage of any matching your employer may do too. You've got the time to make it happen.
Could NOT agree more! I plan on retiring at 59 1/2 and have been planning accordingly for years to be able to do so and that includes regular discussions with my financial advisor and tweaking investment strategies. So far on track! Woohoo!

Return to Top
#2258898 - 08/27/21 11:12 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Excellent advice.
A good financial advisor (look for fee only - many have CFP certifications) can direct you for investments (preserving assets), insurances (life, liability, health), legal documents (wills, estates, trusts), guide on taxes (state, federal, exemptions), etc. For some "Financial Advisors" it is a title for an investment company, sell company products only and have sales goals.

A CFP website https://www.letsmakeaplan.org/

Return to Top
#2259208 - 09/02/21 08:11 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
OldeTymeBanker Offline
If I gave the impression that we have never met with an advisor previously please understand this is not the case, but recently we have met with one that is separate from my employer. Sometimes one wants to make one's own determination.

Return to Top
#2259252 - 09/03/21 06:37 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You just provided the opportunity for three of us to chime in with doing what you did, just sooner. My husband and I did this much later than I now wish we would have, having relied on what was offered through our employers. Especially with the news regarding the SS Trust being depleted within the next dozen years, it's of paramount importance that the young 'uns that hope to retire take all the steps to fund it early.

Return to Top
#2259413 - 09/09/21 12:32 PM Re: can't do anything right SmallBankBSA
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
After listening to a webinar from an attorney firm over the proposed 1071 yesterday I told a coworker that if I hadn't already decided to retire - this would push me over the edge.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett