BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2258820 - 08/26/21 09:22 PM Disregarded Entity
KerryVBC Offline
100 Club
KerryVBC
Colorado
I have a full understanding of how a disregarded entity account needs to be set up and how the W-9 needs to be completed (with the owner's name on line 1 of the W-9 and the owner's TIN being used).

However, I'm at a loss as to how to explain to my colleagues how a disegarded entity could conceivably have its own EIN but that it should not be used on the W-9. I know that it has something to do with whether or not the disregarded entity has employees, but that's it. Can someone please expand on this for me?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2258822 - 08/26/21 09:32 PM Re: Disregarded Entity KerryVBC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - they would only need an EIN for payroll purposes. The W-9 instructions explain how to complete the form and what number for them to give you for a disregarded entity.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1281.pdf

Encourage them to read it before asking further questions.

Return to Top
#2258823 - 08/26/21 09:39 PM Re: Disregarded Entity rlcarey
KerryVBC Offline
100 Club
KerryVBC
Colorado
Thanks rlcarey. I knew it would be you that came through with the answer for me. I did show them the instructions and have gone over it ad nauseam; it seems almost too easy that an EIN is simply for payroll purposes and I just wanted to double-check that I wasn't missing a step somewhere.
Last edited by KerryVBC; 08/26/21 09:43 PM.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett