Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2259406 - 09/08/21 08:55 PM "Christmas Money"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've just received word that the FED will not be offering us new bills this year for the holidays.

Has anyone else heard that? Coin shortage, now a fit bill shortage?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2259407 - 09/08/21 09:22 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

#2259469 - 09/09/21 05:07 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
news bills spend the same as old bills...there are 2 periods now available where they send nothing but new, order up and set aside until them if it is really a big deal

#2259492 - 09/09/21 10:02 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Didn't we have the same last year? Maybe that was just on the west coast, but I am pretty sure we got no holiday bills last year either.

#2259494 - 09/09/21 10:28 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - that is a basically a verbatim repeat from last year's notice.around the same time

https://www.frbservices.org/news/co...currency-ordering-periods-suspended.html

#2259514 - 09/10/21 02:41 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
news bills spend the same as old bills...there are 2 periods now available where they send nothing but new, order up and set aside until them if it is really a big deal

WELL OF COURSE old bills spend the same as new bills. But try telling that to "Grandma" who likes to send all of her grandkids new $20's.

And it "is really a big deal" since they FED does NOT have 2 periods where they send nothing but new. Did you read the link rlcarey posted?

#2259522 - 09/10/21 02:55 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Time to convince grandma that the kiddo would rather have the 20 in the form of a gift card, you can't use cash online.

#2259576 - 09/10/21 07:57 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

But Granny don't trust plastic or the internet, so there's that.....

#2259589 - 09/10/21 09:45 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I can run you off some new crisp $20 bills in my basement over the weekend. Let me know on Monday where we can meet and I will gladly exchange them for used bills smile

#2259651 - 09/13/21 08:50 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by Anonymous
WELL OF COURSE old bills spend the same as new bills. But try telling that to "Grandma" who likes to send all of her grandkids new $20's.

And it "is really a big deal" since they FED does NOT have 2 periods where they send nothing but new. Did you read the link rlcarey posted?

yep, i read it. my local FRB branch twice a year sends out new currency for a 2-3 week period, they notify us ahead of time, and that is all you get, no fit currency, nothing but new.

but, as the notice you are referencing says "As a result, depository institutions received high volumes of new notes in all denominations. The significant increase in new notes paid out into the market contributed to the decision to suspend the holiday currency order." so, you have access to new currency, just set it aside and hold for grandma.

and, finally, "For questions related to this change, please contact your local cash services department." i've found our local FRB office to be very accommodating of late in currency issues, perhaps yours may be as well.

#2259696 - 09/14/21 06:54 PM Re: "Christmas Money" HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous

yep, i read it. my local FRB branch twice a year sends out new currency for a 2-3 week period, they notify us ahead of time, and that is all you get, no fit currency, nothing but new.

but, as the notice you are referencing says "As a result, depository institutions received high volumes of new notes in all denominations. The significant increase in new notes paid out into the market contributed to the decision to suspend the holiday currency order." so, you have access to new currency, just set it aside and hold for grandma.

and, finally, "For questions related to this change, please contact your local cash services department." i've found our local FRB office to be very accommodating of late in currency issues, perhaps yours may be as well.

Happy, I re-read my post and it came across as kind of "snappy". That wasn't my intent, even though the CAPS might prove otherwise, LOL. My apologies.

#2260083 - 09/22/21 07:08 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have been stashing new, crispy bills in our vault for the fall and winter months.

It may not be direct from the FED, but at least it's a little nicer and will keep Gramma happy.

#2260123 - 09/23/21 12:19 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
less than 10 years ago, when we still had an internal vault, our vault manager would take 20 $1 bills, align them in a small booklet with a Christmas cover, glue one edge together, and they would "sell" these to the grandmas of the bank for $20. Grandma would hand out to grandkids, who could tear off the bills $1 at a time...when we stopped doing this (it was a very time consuming process to make, glue, store, etc), you would have thought the world was ending. for 3-4 years our cash team would hear about the "unhappy grandmas" from our retail team.

#2260215 - 09/24/21 04:13 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love Happy Gilmore's story. We have those Granny's that stop in early and want fresh money AND Holiday envelopes, by golly. Let's keep those senior club depositors happy. Pretty soon everyone will just VEMO or Apple Pay their gifts to the relatives, and we'll all be jobless.........along with the mom and pop stores who were outdone by all of you shopping on Amazon, who will never bank with you locally..........just saying

#2260251 - 09/24/21 08:49 PM Re: "Christmas Money" Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

When the "State Quarters" were a thing (are they still a thing?) we'd have lines out the door with seniors on release day. Wanting to get all 50 of those states to fill books for the grandkids.

It was just a matter of time when grandkids starting coming into the bank with EXACTLY 50 shiny, different state quarters to cash in for dollars. I always got a kick out of that.

Over the years I've had seniors call looking to collect and hoard Susan B's and $2 bills. Funny, all these years later, Suzie is still worth $1.00 and the twoza is still worth two bucks.

#2260255 - 09/24/21 08:51 PM Re: "Christmas Money" HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

less than 10 years ago, when we still had an internal vault, our vault manager would take 20 $1 bills, align them in a small booklet with a Christmas cover, glue one edge together, and they would "sell" these to the grandmas of the bank for $20. Grandma would hand out to grandkids, who could tear off the bills $1 at a time...when we stopped doing this (it was a very time consuming process to make, glue, store, etc), you would have thought the world was ending. for 3-4 years our cash team would hear about the "unhappy grandmas" from our retail team.

That's so sweet, LOL.

Reminds me of when McDonald's used to give out paper gift certificates; you'd get a pack of 5 for $5.00. As kids we'd savor each one.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale