Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2259964 - 09/20/21 11:14 PM Commercial Loan to a Tribal Member - CD?
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
My credit administrator thinks a commercial loan to a business owned by a tribal member is community development. It would still need to benefit LMI, right? It's definitely a minority-owned business, but that may be where it ends....

Return to Top
CRA
#2259978 - 09/21/21 12:39 PM Re: Commercial Loan to a Tribal Member - CD? Mel in WA
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Under which exam methodology and regulator are you examined?

Return to Top
#2260000 - 09/21/21 03:32 PM Re: Commercial Loan to a Tribal Member - CD? Mel in WA
Mel in WA Offline
Diamond Poster
Large bank, FDIC.

Return to Top
#2260027 - 09/21/21 09:06 PM Re: Commercial Loan to a Tribal Member - CD? Mel in WA
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
If the loan is less than $1 million, it would qualify under small loans to businesses and farms. For a larger loan, you would need a community development purpose, but if the business is on tribal lands or in an LMI geography, loans that support continued or expanded employment could qualify as promoting economic development or revitalizing/stabilizing LMI geographies (assuming the geography is LMI).

Community development also includes tribal-based childcare, healthcare, education, social services, and workforce development/job training programs targeted to low- or moderate-income persons.

Return to Top