Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2260609 - 10/01/21 08:07 PM Verification of Mortgage
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Hi, a question has been posed to me that I've never considered. Are we obligated for any reason to provide a verification of mortgage upon request? Furthermore, does the fact that the loan is or is not paid off factor into the analysis as to whether or not we must provide a verification of mortgage?

I do not believe the paid off status would impact anything. I also believe we should be providing a verification of mortgage, but I am struggling to find any regulatory/other reason as to why that is. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2260611 - 10/01/21 08:27 PM Re: Verification of Mortgage ComplyCycle
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not unless you would be obligated under State law, but under what circumstance would you refuse? It is an all or none situation. If you say no - you have to say no regardless of "how good" your customer might be.

Return to Top
#2260612 - 10/01/21 08:28 PM Re: Verification of Mortgage ComplyCycle
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
There is nothing on the Federal level that I am aware of that would require you to provide a direct mortgage verification to another lender. Honestly I didn't even know they were still requested.

Some states do however require you to provide a timely and accurate payoff statement.

Return to Top
#2260615 - 10/01/21 09:06 PM Re: Verification of Mortgage ComplyCycle
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
If the bank is hesitant, tell them that lending is reported to the credit bureau(s) for consistency.

Return to Top
#2260618 - 10/01/21 09:19 PM Re: Verification of Mortgage ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Thank you all. That is very helpful.

Return to Top
#2260621 - 10/01/21 09:29 PM Re: Verification of Mortgage ComplyCycle
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Just remember that what goes around, comes around. If you ask for info, you may not get it. But realistically if it is tying up resources unnecessarily and there is no gain, just say "we report to the XYZ bureau" if that is where they need to go. But what do you do if your borrower says, "here is what I'm doing and they need to talk to my lender..." Be prepared.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z