Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2260530 - 09/30/21 06:25 PM ACHs to XRP
J_G Offline
Gold Star
We are getting alerts for individuals sending ACHs to XRP. As long as we know the source of their funds, this shouldn't be considered suspicious, right?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2260531 - 09/30/21 06:34 PM Re: ACHs to XRP J_G
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What is XRP?

Return to Top
#2260543 - 09/30/21 07:30 PM Re: ACHs to XRP J_G
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
XRP is a type of virtual currency that runs on the XRP Ledger, if I am understanding what you are referring too. I would direct you to your own policy if it mentions it virtual currency and due diligence surrounding it. We are not filing on general retail investors purchasing cryptocurrency at this time if it's not suspicious.

Return to Top
#2260568 - 10/01/21 02:59 PM Re: ACHs to XRP J_G
Local_Banker Offline
You will have to provide more info about the counterparty. I don't think you can directly buy XRP tokens directly; your customers would have to go through an exchange like Coinbase or something. Generally those exchanges will be registered MSBs. To me, a reasonable level of investments with a clean source of funds isn't necessarily suspicious unless there is something else unusual (e.g. possible EFE).

Return to Top
#2260624 - 10/01/21 11:19 PM Re: ACHs to XRP J_G
Mike S Offline
New Poster
praBSA and Local_Banker are correct. It's not possible to purchase any virtual asset directly from the issuer -- if there is even an issuer. The transfer has to happen to a financial institution that banks the exchanges or banks the MSB that provides the ability to buy digital currency. Silvergate Bank and Signature Bank are two of the banks in the USA who currently bank a lot of larger exchanges. In fact, it is a safe assumption that almost all transfers to these two banks can be assumed to be retail investment into digital currency.

Perhaps the customer provided "Purchasing XRP" as the reason for the transfers? In that case, follow standard procedure.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z